You probably won’t win an Olympic gold medal, but you can work for the world’s best Olympic news website.
Dunsar Media, and its flagship platform, insidethegames.biz, a company which is bucking the trend of the journalism industry by continuing to expand its editorial team, is hiring a new Desk Editor.
We are a multi-award-winning website which scooped the Best In Sports Media prize at the Sports Business Awards in June, seeing off the likes of Sky Sports and the Olympic Channel.
We regularly set the agenda, with our news being read by the world’s best athletes and the officials who make the key decisions in world sport’s corridors of power.
You will have the chance to sub and write the stories which matter and work with a talented young team who travel across the world.
Job role: Desk Editor
Job purpose: To help oversee operation of the busy news desk, which produces copy and publishes seven days a week.
Location: Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Salary: Starting £28K, + regular bonus based on performance and profits, + regular pay rises.
Benefits: Full Vitality Private Healthcare, including full cancer cover and dental, plus Life Assurance and Aviva Pension
Experience required: At least two years’ experience in journalism.
Skills and experience required
- A good news sense, be organised and have an impeccable eye for detail.
- A passion for accuracy and grammar, able to understand and conform quickly to house style.
- Ability to work effectively and enthusiastically as part of a small team working on several projects simultaneously.
- Effective time management skills to juggle multiple and frequent deadlines.
- Adaptability; the confidence to take responsibility and to instil more efficient, effective working systems.
- Work on mainly digital platforms (website, mobile site, email e-alerts) with some print magazines, both in-house and for clients.
- Understand and be used to using Facebook and Twitter to promote editorial copy.
- Have an interest in the politics of sport, not solely an interest in reporting sport.
- Can think globally.
- Be an anchor to our roving editorial team – at times you may be the only person in the team in the UK.
- The editorial team work to a seven-day shift pattern and your shift would be in rotation with the other desk editor and the sub editor.
- Can communicate effectively with the owners and managers as well as people starting their career.
- Can communicate face-to-face, via phone, via email and via digital means such as Skype messaging and What’s App.
- Self-starters preferred.
- Work in a team as one of two Desk Editors to ensure all duties are completed, all publications are published on time and the news desk runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Ensure with the sub-editor that all articles that need to go live on the website and be published in our print magazines are subbed and are ready for publication.
- Source the most appropriate images for articles.
- Make copy live.
- Social network all articles.
- Help the Magazine Editor to produce printed publications from flat plan to distribution.
- Create the Daily and Weekly and Client-specific e-alerts on a regular basis.
- Manage, train, encourage and develop the editorial team.
- Organise the editorial team and the freelancers, including managing the rota.
- The No.1 Olympic news website in the world.
- The world’s most influential independent Olympic and Commonwealth Games news website, read by sport’s most powerful and best-known powerbrokers, setting the agenda in the multi-billion-dollar Olympic marketplace every day.
- We report on the business, politics and bid process behind the global Olympic Movement.
- A global readership. 42% Americas, 39% Europe, 10% Asia, 5% Oceania, 4% Africa.
- Monthly page impressions over 10.1 million, monthly visits over 1.1 million, monthly unique visitors over 500,000.
- We currently rank 48,088 out of all websites in the world in the Alexa world rankings. (Google.com = 1)
- We have expanded our editorial team every year and now run a team which is 13-strong and looking to expand.
- We have a business model that works and which relies on the highest quality journalism, which means we invest in journalism not sales and admin staff.
How to apply:
Please send a current CV AND a separate covering letter via the provided link explaining why you are the right fit for this role, and what you could offer a website like www.insidethegames.biz and an exciting young and progressive publishing house like Dunsar Media.
All applications should be submitted by Friday 15th September 2017.
- 1st interviews 20th to 22nd September 2017.
- 2nd interviews 26th to 29th September 2017.
- Immediate start for the right person.
Dunsar Media - Awards
A publisher with original and ground-breaking journalism at its very heart.
- Winner - Online Journalist of the Year – Duncan Mackay - British Sports Journalist Awards 2009.
- Winner - Most Promising New Business – Bucks Chamber of Commerce Awards 2010.
- Shortlisted – Best Print Publication of 2012 – British Media Awards 2013.
- Winner – Best Freelance Writer – David Owen - Online Media Awards 2015.
- Commendation - Best Commercial Innovation – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Best Brand Development – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Nominated - Best Column – David Owen - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Winner – Sambo Journalist of the Year 2015 - Daniel Etchells – FIAS Awards 2016.
- Winner – Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2017
Our young team is dedicated and hardworking, prepared to stretch themselves to produce the best and most relevant news for our readers on this industry-leading website. With your help, they could be even better.
Only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Please note, whilst we welcome applications from all nationalities, due to the nature of our editorial copy, the successful applicant will require an excellent command of both written and spoken English. This role is office-based and our office is in Bletchley, Milton Keynes.
http://www.destinationmiltonkeynes.co.uk. Experience tells us that it is not possible to commute this role from London or the Midlands. We welcome your application and look forward to meeting you.