Head of Events
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations, Event Planning & Competition Management|
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) is seeking two candidates for the positions of Head of Events. They should be ready to enter the fast-paced world of hockey and demonstrate the FIH core values of being inclusive, optimistic, progressive and dynamic.
With 137 member National Associations and millions of fans around the world, hockey enjoys a strong global profile and following. You will become part of a talented team aiming to build upon this exposure with a mission to grow the game globally through targeted development work as part of FIH’s dynamic 10-year ‘Hockey Revolution’ strategy.
With further game-changing developments in the pipeline, including the introduction of a new portfolio of events in 2019, it is certainly an exciting time to be joining the FIH.
The successful applicants will lead a number of FIH existing Major Events, including the Men’s and Women’s World Cups, the Champions Trophies and the Indoor/Junior World Cups, as well as being part of the new portfolio from 2019 which will include the new Hockey Series. The position will report directly to the FIH Events & Strategy Director and is responsible for leading the planning and operations of the events they are assigned.
Responsible for planning and delivery of FIH events within the existing and new portfolio. Heads of Events will assume the role of Event Director for onsite operations and will be responsible for liaising with the host, managing the internal team and ultimately ensuring the successful delivery against the event objectives.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Activities:
- Plan and deliver of a number of major FIH events in line with the FIH strategy and goals and specific event objectives
- Raise the standard of delivery of FIH events to deliver Big, Bold, Packed and Loud events and ensure the experience for all stakeholders is maximised
- Provide strong leadership internally across all departments at the FIH and the wider team of technical officials and volunteers
- Build strong working relationships externally with the National Associations and Hosts
- Perform the role of Event Director at FIH events, taking event related decisions and escalating incidents and crisis in line with defined processes and procedures
- Manage budgets and contractual agreements related to Events
- Maintain an ongoing bidding process for future FIH events and oversee the contractual negotiations for events when they are awarded.
- Work closely with the FIH Broadcast department to ensure that all needs for TV production on site are provided for and TV appeal is front of mind when operational decisions are made
- Work closely with the FIH commercial team to ensure that all event-related rights resulting from contracts between FIH and its Partners and Suppliers are implemented
- Work with the FIH marketing and communications team to ensure that the marketing plans are being implemented, spectator capacity is optimised for all matches, branding delivers maximum visual impact and media operations are optimised
- Work with the FIH sport team to ensure that all competition and technical requirements, officials appointments and athlete facilities and services are in place
- Oversee development of event documentation, procedures and guidelines as required and manage and co-ordinate the transfer of knowledge programme for future host organisers, including the evaluation and review at the conclusion of FIH events
Requirements, Education and Experience:
- Experience of operational planning and delivery of large scale international sports events
- 10 – 15 years of applicable professional experience in a fast paced event environment
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent organisational and project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Strong negotiation, conflict management and problem solving skills
- Positive, flexible and optimistic approach, able to quickly adapt to the changing nature of work
- Ability to work well as part of the team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure with meticulous attention to detail
- High level of honesty and integrity, discrete and ethical
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends, with significant travel
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential (French, Spanish and/or other languages would be looked upon favourably)
The position is full-time, based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Significant travel required.
Start date 1st November 2017 or TBD.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please send CVs via the provided link by 15th September 2017.
The FIH is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.
International Hockey Federation (FIH)
The International Hockey Federation, commonly known by the acronym FIH is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey.