Head of Technology
2 days left
- Full Time
The FIA Formula E Championship is the world’s first fully-electric single-seater racing series, competing on the streets against the backdrop of some of the most iconic cities - including Hong Kong, Marrakesh, Buenos Aires, Monaco, Paris, New York and Montreal. The championship represents a vision for the future of the motor industry, serving as a platform to showcase the latest innovations in electric vehicle technology and alternative energy solutions. Future seasons will see the regulations open up further allowing manufacturers to focus on the development of motor and battery components, which in turn will filter down to everyday contemporary electric road vehicles.
The 2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship sees 10 teams and 20 drivers go wheel-to-wheel in 10 cities spanning five continents in the fight to be crowned Formula E champion. The inaugural season of Formula E sparked into life in September 2014 around the grounds of the Olympic Park in Beijing. The third season of the electric street racing series got underway on October 9 in Hong Kong, with the season finale double-header in Montreal on July 29 & 30.
Working at Formula E
At Formula E we have created an environment that supports our colleagues to perform at their best. We are innovative, curious and we love the world we live in which is why we value sustainability. We believe that work should be fun and whilst we are passionate about delivery we are one team and supporting each other is key to our success.
Purpose of the Job
As Head of Technology you will be the architect of technology for all our events. You will be known in the industry as an event technology expert priding yourself on delivering vision into reality.
This role leads the delivery of AV, Internet Access Distribution, Sporting Electronic Systems, Timekeeping, CCTV, Signalling, Communications Network, Broadcast and TV distribution, lighting design to widescreen blending displays. You will need to be able to scope, spec and deliver all this technology in a global landscape with a variety of suppliers.
We’re looking for an accomplished event technology lead who has a firm understanding of how to take the event from its infancy to one that is respected worldwide in its domain. We need a professional who has delivered technology at live events on a global scale. A key part of the role will be to improve fan engagement at the events and drive technical innovation in the TV product. Due to the amount of overseas work, a depth of experience in managing varying multicultural suppliers is essential.
Responsibilities (Role and Personal)
This is a full-time position for an experienced Head of Technology based in central London, and will involve:
- Responsible for the overall technology strategy for the Formula E Championship
Designing and delivering the technical event specification for Formula E Prix and sub events such as roadshows, showcases, press conferences and business presentations.
- The technology path to successful delivery is typically:
Taking the event brief, Site visits to check technical feasibility, technical specifications, tenders & obtaining quotes from suppliers, identifying internal and external resource, central point of technology contact for suppliers, liaising with internal / external creative teams, on site management and ultimate delivery owner.
You will understand how to deliver the highest quality sound to keep your audience/crowd captivated. You will understand the challenge of designing and delivering sound for both a crowd and a live television audience.
You will be able to bring our message to life through stunning high-definition visuals and imagery.
- Lighting Design
You will know how to work with lighting experts to create the perfect lighting system for the most unique of scenarios. You can demonstrate how lighting has transformed some of your previous projects
- Content Management / Sports Presentation
You will know what it means to captivate your audience with a professionally made presentation. You will have experience of designing and delivering event presentations that grab the attention of the audience
- AV Technology
You will know how to design and screen engaging experiences for your audiences and bring your messages to life though stunning visuals and responsive content.
- Internet Access Distribution
You will be able to plan and execute that plan with suppliers to deliver Internet Access Distribution at the events. You will be very comfortable with Office IT and support the IT Manager to ensure the office IT is resilient, supported and our data is secure and accessible from around the world.
- TV Distribution
Internal (inside our event) such as distribution to VIP hospitality areas and giant screens in Evillage and grandstand areas. External (outside our event) i.e. satellite, point to point and internet distribution.
Understand and optimise radio technologies and frequencies.
Be the technology leader for the business overseeing the IT office function.
- Tenders / New supplier engagement
You will have previous experience of tender / procurement management. You will know the key players in the event technology space and be comfortable to explore new businesses as a technical judge of competence.
- Innovate with new technology
- Building on the technical legacy by working on ideas with team and suppliers to make Formula E known as an advanced technology event
- Research and invent new ideas to be a stand out in the technology industry
Desired skills and experiences:
- To be successful in the Head of Technology, you must be passionate about technology and innovation having grown your career from junior technical roles. Being able to do as well as lead is essential.
- Must have large scale pop up event technology experience
- Must have a deep technical knowledge (able to specify every element)
- Great inter personal and leadership skills which enable long term relationship building. The role will include shaping a new structure and team that hasn’t been in place previously which will require management & oversight over a broad range of technology areas of which you may not have knowledge in.
- Formula E is a fast paced and dynamic organisation so you will need to demonstrate a structured entrepreneurial commercial ability, and be comfortable with working in a change driven environment. You will have the gravitas, confidence and experience to be seen as the technology expert, with excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence to engage, lead and influence key stakeholders.
- You will be mentally agile, a high-level thinker with a global mindset and recognised as a completer-finisher. You will not be afraid to step outside your comfort zone to constructively challenge and contribute to wider commercial strategy, with senior leadership and key stakeholders.
- You will have a consultative and collaborative working style with the determination, enthusiasm and creativity to quickly resolve problems and set a clear path for success. You will have high expectations levels for detail and quality and seek continuous improvement personally and from your teams.
- As a team leader you will demonstrate dynamism, energy and enthusiasm which encourages others to be the same. You will implement work methods which drive results through co-operation.
- You will currently be operating within the technology area of a globally respected brand will be recognised as a top-performer within that business or have substantial previous relevant experience. You will have experience of working at an international level, which may include being based overseas.
- Fluent English is essential. Spanish/German and French are highly desirable languages to have.
Please include details of your current remuneration package in your application.
Due to the number of applications – ONLY successful applicants will be contacted by the client.
PLEASE NOTE: It is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. Formula E is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a unique opportunity, a competitive salary and an environment that inspires innovation and supports professionals to perform at their best in their chosen fields.