Senior Veterinary Surgeon
|Sector||Clubs & Teams|
|Function||Medicine & Science|
A world-class horse racing operator and one of the world’s largest charity contributors, donating a record HK$3.9 billion in 2015/16. A major taxpayer, Hong Kong's largest by far, generating HK$20.9 billion in 2015/16 for public funds. A pioneer in technology, striving for the highest levels of customer service. A membership club, recognised as one of Asia’s most prestigious. Above all an organisation dedicated to the overall betterment of Hong Kong. This is The Hong Kong Jockey Club, a truly remarkable organisation offering you a rewarding career with unparalleled prospects for growth and development.
Senior Veterinary Surgeon, Conghua Training Centre
The Hong Kong Jockey Club is building a dedicated Thoroughbred training centre at Conghua in Guangdong Province, South China, which will open in July 2018. The centre will be equipped with state-of-the-art racehorse training facilities and will accommodate 1,400 horses when full. Horses will shuttle down to Hong Kong to race and racing carnivals will be showcased in Conghua on at least a bi-annual basis.
The Conghua Training Centre (CTC) will include a world-class equine hospital that will be staffed by a team of four veterinarians and three veterinary technicians supported by a dedicated pharmacy, clinical laboratory and administrative unit. The CTC veterinary team will be part of the Department of Veterinary Clinical Services and veterinarians based in Hong Kong will spend time at CTC and vice versa.
We are looking for a seasoned equine clinician with experience in Thoroughbred racing and managing people to help commission the CTC Equine Hospital and to oversee initial operation of the unit.
You will report to the Head of Veterinary Clinical Services and the Business Manager of the Conghua Training Centre.
You will provide clinical leadership and be responsible for the key management functions of the CTC veterinary team including:
- Lead and supervise all staff within the equine hospital to ensure high quality professional services through compliance with Departmental policies and protocols.
- Manage all resources to ensure that efficient and effective clinical service is provided to all horses at CTC at all times.
- Care for the staff of the equine hospital by providing direct oversight of recruitment, performance management, training and compliance with legislation.
- Budget planning, procurement of recurrent and expensive items, stock management and review on consumption of resources.
You should have:
- A degree recognized by the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Hong Kong
- At least 10 years’ experience with good understanding of Thoroughbred racehorse practice
- Passion for teamwork and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Enthusiasm for clinical practice and for developing junior staff
- A post-graduate qualification in a related clinical discipline is an advantage.
Terms of Employment:
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A three year contract of employment will be offered to the successful candidate. You will be based at the Conghua Training Centre although you will undergo a period of familiarization in Hong Kong at the start and you may be required to spend short intervals in Hong Kong throughout your contract.
Closing date for applications is 27th September 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
How to apply:
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary and job reference to the Human Resources Department, via the provided APPLY button.
You are welcome to contact Dr. Christopher Riggs for further information about the position (email: Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: +852 2966 6891).
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only.
Hong Kong Jockey Club
A world leading horse racing organisation. A truly remarkable organisation offering you remarkable career opportunities with unparalleled prospects for future growth and development.