Performance Lifestyle Advisor
The establishment of ISN is to provide sports science, medicine & technology services, conduct research and development in the area of sports; and provide continuing education towards achieving excellence in sports.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL SPORTS INSTITUTE OF MALAYSIA (ISN)
The National Sports Institute of Malaysia (ISN) is an agency under the Ministry of Youth and Sports and is responsible for the delivery of Elite Athlete preparation programs for major International events such as the Olympics, World Championships, Asian and Commonwealth Games.
ISN is striving to take Malaysian sports to new heights of sustainable achievement through the development of an improved high performance delivery system (PODIUM Programme). ISN is hiring a team who will develop, manage and execute the programme, and is looking for suitable candidates with the right experience and capabilities to apply.
POSITION TITLE – PERFORMANCE LIFESTYLE ADVISOR
MAIN TASK AND ACTIVITIES:
- Develop and deliver a Performance Lifestyle program for Malaysia’s elite athletes to manage the balance between sport and lifestyle factors that affect an athletes’ pursuit of success throughout their sporting journey (e.g. education, employment, family, finances).
- Ensure identified athletes receive appropriate support and materials to implement a performance focused approach and take personal responsibility towards leading and managing their sporting and non-sporting commitments.
- Deliver suitable support to athletes in the main areas of Performance Lifestyle; with an emphasis on (but not limited to):
- Managing key pathway transitions
- Managing the self, as a PODIUM athlete
- Managing a dual career (e.g. education, personal professional development and life-long transferable skills)
- Develop and deliver education modules and workshops for athletes, coaches, sport associations and family (parents, spouse, and partner).
- Develop a framework for athlete integrity and professionalism.
- Supporting athlete health and wellbeing
- Develop staff within the Performance Lifestyle program and a network for referrals
- Facilitate a team orientated environment with coaches and support staff to understand and manage lifestyle factors to maximize sport performance.
- Relevant undergraduate qualification such as education, career development, counselling, social work, psychology, sports management, or a discipline relevant to the management and personal development of elite athletes.
- Applications from those with significant experience in education or elite sporting systems from an athlete or coaching perspective are also welcomed
- Postgraduate qualifications, particularly in psychology, career development or relevant teaching qualification.
- Experience in providing education and career and professional/personal development guidance.
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team delivering support services in a high-performance environment.
- Experience within high performance sport environment
- Experience of supporting personal development of clients through coaching and mentoring
- Experience in designing, developing and presenting workshops
- Knowledge of the structure and systems associated with high performance sport and elite athlete development
- An understanding of athlete sport pathways and contemporary challenges to athlete career development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of career management and development practice including effective planning, goal-setting and time management
- A good understanding of how the Malaysian further and higher educational institutions currently deliver education
- An understanding of the multi-disciplinary practice within the elite sporting environment
- Basic knowledge of coaching and mentoring skills
- Can demonstrate knowledge of World Anti-Doping Code 2015 and the roles and responsibilities of athlete support personnel
TRAITS AND PERSONALITY:
- Strong communication skills within a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going professional development
- Ability to work as a member of a team