Head of City and Transport Services - ICC LOC
The International Cricket Council Cricket World Cup (ICC CWC) is the flagship event of the international cricket calendar. The event takes place every four years, with matches contested in a 50-over format. The Cricket World Cup has been staged on 11 previous occasions, with the first taking place in England in 1975. England and Wales last hosted the event in 1999, while the 2015 edition of the tournament was jointly held in Australia and New Zealand.
The traditions and competitive nature of the tournament, the atmosphere and the passionate crowds, and the ambitions of the players to capture the magnificent trophy all combined in 2015 to create the most enthralling six weeks the game has ever seen. More than 1.5 billion people watched, and more than 1 million people attended the ICC CWC 2015, while the tournament website received 36m visitors, with 5.8m Facebook “likes,” and 8m tweets across the competition. The tournament app was downloaded 4.7m times, and was the number one sports app in 49 countries.
The ICC CWC 2019 will be staged in England and Wales, and will be contested by ten national teams. The Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the event is seeking to build upon the achievements of the 2015 edition, to ensure that the ICC CWC 2019 is one of the biggest and most successful Cricket World Cups ever staged.
This role is a fixed term contract and is responsible for the strategy and outstanding delivery of all city and transport services, ensuring the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is the most successful Cricket World Cup ever staged. The successful candidate will ensure the creation of a range of events and activations in each Host City in the lead up to and at tournament time including world-class Fan Parks. At the same time this role requires the enhancement of transport operations for each city/venue to ensure outstanding service levels for spectators attending CWC.
Specific duties will vary but will include:
- Support the Director of City & Spectator Services in the successful delivery of city and transport based activations during the tournament
- Deliver strategy for city based events, branding, and Fan Parks in conjunction with local authorities and relevant agencies
- Create governance structures for dealing with each host city
- Develop a package of rights and commitments for each host city and secure VIK and other benefits in return
- Ensure host cities use all their relevant channels to promote the tournament.
- Devise a city transport strategy for the tournament and oversee such operations during the tournament
- Work with match venues on overall transport plans for each match and ensure compatibility to city transport plans
- Liaise with all relevant transport operators across England & Wales to ensure maximum level of service for fans during the tournament
- Work with other Global Events FAs to ensure maximum leverage of the tournament for each city
- Attend and run regular host city meetings and transport coordination groups
- Effectively manage the budget tracker for all City and Transport spend
Expertise and skills
This role requires an individual who has proven leadership experience within a major event. The successful candidate will need to display significant planning, organisational, and leadership abilities.
- At least 8 years’ experience in sports operations and major events
- Management and delivery of outdoor events and Fan Zones/Parks
- Construction and implementation of Transport Management Plans
- Contacts at management level within host city local authorities and transport operators
- Knowledge and implementation of City Dressing programs
- Strong stakeholder management background
- Report writing skills
- Ability to influence and resolve conflict
- Management of procurement processes including for relevant agencies
- Ability to work effectively and make decisions under tournament pressure
- Strong people management skills