Course Operations Supervisor
Tough Mudder’s mission is to grow a global tribe that lives courage, personal accomplishment, teamwork, and fun. From day one, we’ve built a culture to reflect that philosophy, bringing on quirky people who are great at what they do and passionate about our events and customers. Together we have created a company that has become a movement. In just six years, we've had over 2.5M people participate, opened international offices in the UK, fundraised over $12M for charities and had over 10,000 people get Tough Mudder tattoos. The opportunity ahead of us is vast, and we continue to look for the best, brightest and most badass to join us.
Tough Mudder’s U.K. office is based in London. We’re on the lookout for people who want more than a job or even a career – that want to help build a company that changes the lives of millions of people for the better. As a member of TMHQ, you’ll be given an opportunity to push your boundaries and find out what you’re capable of, to work with and learn from incredibly smart colleagues, and to enjoy the journey of building a world-class company.
Sound like something you can get on board with?
The Tough Mudder Course Operations Supervisor will be a member of our small but mighty Event Operations Team in the UK. The role will report into the Course and Construction Manager, and will be responsible for planning and delivery across a suite of 4+ events.This role is a complex planning and management role with multiple moving parts and a challenging delivery timeline.
This role covers the following critical areas of UK Tough Mudder events:
- Design - Course designs to include obstacle sizing, locations, course routing and necessary site preparation
- Safety and medical provision planning
- Mapping - creation of detailed site maps based off initial course design. Knowledge of Google Earth and CAD is highly beneficial.
- Development and refinement of operational plans - Produce/contribute to key event documents
- Staffing - sourcing of course staff for event week and event weekend operations
- Procurement – sourcing of goods and services required for event delivery, e.g., Inventory and Course specific equipment
- Relationship management – liaise with venue and other stakeholders as appropriate
- Budget oversight –contribute to logistics and course budgets across a portfolio of events
Event week operations:
- Site set up - Course Build Out; Set up of radio communications; management of deliveries; support base area set up as required; liaison with other stakeholders during bump in
- Operational delivery – support the Course and Construction Manager, effectively manage elements of course operations, ensuring participant safety whilst maximizing customer satisfaction; Partner servicing and management relating to the Couse
- Staff Management - staff briefing, deployment and ongoing management across course operations
- Site Safety - responding to emergencies as safety officer if required - assessing situation, managing resources on scene as necessary; maintain a safe and clean work environment throughout the week
- Pack up - Course breakdown and restoration; orchestrate an effective demobilization and effective ongoing kit restock and inventory management
- Standard Operating Procedures – ongoing development and refinement of SOPs as necessary
- Innovation – actively identify and implement improvements to back of house and field of play operations
- Relationship management – ensure effective relationships across key internal departments and with external stakeholders as required
- Demonstrable project management and planning skills, ideally in the events industry
- Strong critical thinker and communicator
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Team player with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Creative problem-solver and conflict manager
- Focused on meeting objectives and delivering results
- Strong relationship builder with effective stakeholder management skills
- Event production/operational experience preferred
- Demonstrable project management and planning skills, with experience planning events of >10k people
- Capability to contribute to budgets in excess of £250k. Financial awareness including impact of course and obstacle design on overall event budget
- Proven capabilities managing staff of varying skills and backgrounds
- Strong mapping skills, with a knowledge of Google Earth and CAD beneficial
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Comfortable travelling up to 40% of time