Chief Executive - High Performance Sport New Zealand
- Leadership and strategic focus
- Competitive package
- Deliver world class support to NSOs, athletes and coaches
High Performance Sport New Zealand (HPSNZ) was established in 2011 to lead and deliver on key aspects of the High Performance (HP) Strategy in New Zealand. The core functions of HPSNZ are to lead the high performance sport system in New Zealand, working in partnership with National Sport Organisations (NSOs) and key stakeholders by:
- Allocating resources to targeted sports and athletes
- Delivering world-leading support to impact NSO, coach and athlete performance
- Constantly striving to outperform international benchmarks
HPSNZs vision is 'Inspiring the nation through more New Zealanders winning on the world stage at Olympic / Paralympic Games and World Championships with a focus on targeted sports'.
The purpose of this role is to lead the high performance system in New Zealand in partnership with targeted NSOs. The Chief Executive (CE) will lead and build a HP team known for their expertise, leadership of high performance and achievement of results.
The CE will ensure an uncompromised focus on HP with the development of a unique organisational culture, with clear accountabilities for the significant HP investment and leadership of high performance strategy and delivery within the sector. The key focus will be to:
- Lead a highly effective high performance team that ensures resources are targeted and prioritised to deliver performance outcomes
- Work in partnership to increase the stability and high performance capability of NSOs
- Partner with NSOs to build world-leading, coaching and high performance programme leadership
- Deliver world leading performance support for our athletes and coaches
- Enhance the daily training and competition environment
- Strengthen high performance athlete development systems
- Lead an integrated and robust innovation, technology and knowledge programme to drive increased performance
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional leader with significant experiences in the international high performance multi-sports arena either as an athlete, a coach, a high performance director or a high performance system leader. However, if you believe you fulfil the selection criteria, have a deep understanding of and empathy for sport and have HP experiences at a level that enables you to be a credible and authentic leader of HPSNZ, we will welcome your application.
Candidates will need to be both commercially and financially savvy and able to manage a significant budget ($62 million Government HP Vote Funding + $4.25 million PM Scholarship Funding) and resources (7 world class facilities and an expert team of professionals).
The role requires political maturity with the ability to manage a diverse range of stakeholders along with demonstrated experience successfully translating policy and strategy into action and outcomes. You must be a highly credible and inspirational leader with the ability to make difficult but well considered decisions in the best interests of HPSNZ and its stakeholders.
Rarely does an opportunity arise to lead a nation's collective high performance sport programs. Accordingly, this is regarded as one of the most significant high performance leadership roles available in sport today.