Chair of the Independent Disciplinary Panel
5 days left
- Part Time
European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) is the organiser of the three European cross-border rugby union tournaments known as the European Rugby Champions Cup, the European Rugby Challenge Cup and the European Rugby Continental Shield.
As part of its regulatory responsibilities, EPCR administers the disciplinary regime for the tournaments, including the appointment of an independent Disciplinary Panel (overseen by the independent chair) whose members deal with various on and off field disciplinary matters arising in relation to the tournaments and in accordance with applicable tournament and World Rugby rules.
The current Chairman (Professor Lorne Crerar) has served in the role of independent chair with distinction for more than 10 years.
Further information on EPCR can be found at www.epcrugby.com.
EPCR is seeking applications for the role of independent chair of its Disciplinary Panel, to succeed the current Chairman as part of a managed succession programme.
The role of the independent chair includes the following responsibilities:
- to oversee the operation of EPCR's Disciplinary Panel;
- to appoint, or participate in the appointment of, individuals with the necessary skills and experience to EPCR's Disciplinary Panel;
- to appoint members of EPCR's Disciplinary Panel (including him/herself, where appropriate) to conduct enquiries and hear disciplinary cases (at first instance and on appeal) as required under EPCR's disciplinary rules;
- to authorise the issue of written notifications of cases to the relevant parties in accordance with EPCR's disciplinary rules;
- to arrange appropriate training and mentoring for members of EPCR's Disciplinary Panel, and to assess the performance of Disciplinary Panel members;
- to chair EPCR's annual disciplinary conference;
- to monitor the activities of the Disciplinary Panel with a view to maintaining clear, just and consistent decision-making and outcomes, the expeditious resolution of cases and the production of written, reasoned judgments in accordance with EPCR's Disciplinary Rules;
- to liaise with World Rugby's Judicial Panel Chairman and others, as appropriate, including in respect of the appointment of disciplinary personnel by other entities; and
- to carry out such other tasks as set out in EPCR's disciplinary rules.
The appointment is an unpaid, part-time position, and will be for a fixed period of three years, subject to the terms of a contract, with the possibility of renewal. The likely time commitment is 1-2 hours per week on average, but may be more at peak times of the season (October, December, January, April, May).
Location: flexible - workload is largely dealt with remotely or, on occasion, at meetings in major cities with good transport links.
The independent chair of the EPCR Disciplinary Panel must:
- be a senior legal practitioner of at least 10 years' qualification, or a serving or retired judge;
- have experience as a judge, arbitrator, disciplinary tribunal member or similar;
- have an in-depth knowledge of rugby union, and experience of rugby disciplinary proceedings;
- demonstrate leadership skills, and have the ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders and others; and
- be independent and impartial.
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter by no later than 30th June 2017.