Project Manager (Technology)
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations|
Here at The FA we are responsible for overseeing, promoting and developing English football at all levels, from grassroots through to the professional game. We have big ambitions. Some of our objectives include ensuring that The Emirates FA cup remains the world’s premier cup competition, that Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park continue to be world-class venues, and that success is achieved with each of our 24 national sides.
The shared values, vision and pride of our people is central to our success. We are growing a team of highly skilled, passionate and hardworking individuals who are committed to the future of English football. We understand that diversity promotes innovation, and therefore we look for people who are great at what they do, no matter their background.
Overview of the role:
The post-holder will manage the delivery of technology projects for The FA divisions and functions, effectively reporting project status, costs and risk. They will also manage key relationships with business stakeholders, project sponsors and suppliers.
What you’ll be doing:
- To ensure projects are delivered on time, scope and cost.
- To ensure project delivery is in alignment with the overall Technology Programme and TPO processes.
- Ensure a project has the resources required for effective and successful delivery.
- Manage and influence direct project resources; motivate and promote collaboration.
- Represent Technology on cross-functional project teams and promote collaboration and mutual understanding of project delivery.
- Work closely with stakeholders and sponsors to ensure the scope, schedule and cost of a project is agreed, approved and communicated before the project commences.
- Provide regular communications to stakeholders and sponsors through standard meetings and reports.
- Communicate and seek approval of all requests for material scope or schedule changes.
- Ensure issues, risks and resolutions are communicated effectively and appropriately.
Managing Project Controls:
- Maintain clear task lists, issue logs, decision logs
- Keep records of meeting minutes and actions
- Track development effort and calculate velocity (points/days)
- Re-forecast delivery dates vs plan and communicate potential delays
- Keep standard project KPI’s up to date
- Produce regular status updates on time, scope, effort and budget
- Produce monthly commentary for Stakeholders, Technology Programme Office and project team
- Ensure Technology Project Office reporting requirements are updated on a monthly basis
Promotion and adherence to FA Technology processes and standards:
- Follow the project methodology appropriate for the project in hand (Agile/Waterfall)
- Ensure all projects are appropriately documented
- Ensure all projects follow standard QA checks
- Ensure all projects follow standard change control processes and releases are communicated in an effective and timely manner.
Managing FA Technology Partners:
- Manage selection and initiation of new FA Technology Suppliers or Partners
- Ensure suppliers know and follow FA standard processes
- Provide suppliers with a bridge into the FA Technology function and ensure all issues are resolved.
- To manage multiple projects of different scale simultaneously.
- Support the development of IT policies and implementation of new project procedures.
- Work with specialists within the Technology function to overcome performance and project issues.
- Produce ad hoc business analysis as and when required.
Who we are looking for:
- Demonstrable history of successfully delivering IT projects on time, to scope and in budget
- Leadership skills: the ability to lead a cross-functional team through the delivery of a complex and long-term project
- Effective communicator for all levels of the organisation – both written and verbal.
- Excellent judgement: identify project sensitivities, make good decisions and know correct escalations
- Ability to identify and solve issues likely to impact project delivery
- Strong organisation skills with good attention to detail
- Experience with tools relating to project delivery such as JIRA/Confluence/MS Office/Smartsheet.
- Experience of working with third party development agencies
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.
The Football Association (FA)
The Football Association was founded in 1863 as the governing body of the game in England. The FA is responsible for all regulatory aspects of the game of football in England.