Senior Manager, Middle-East
|Sector||Agencies & Sponsors|
|Function||Marketing & Communications|
Wasserman is a culture-centric agency, serving the best talent, brands and properties in the world.
Founded in 2002 with roots in sports and entertainment, Wasserman has evolved beyond those categories. We are an agency not just of advisors, but creators, developers, influencers and innovators who work across music, arts, entertainment, social, tech, content and beyond.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, Wasserman also operates in Carlsbad, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, London, Miami, The Netherlands, New York, Portland, Raleigh, São Paulo, Singapore and Toronto.
Our specialties include:
Talent Representation, Brands, Properties, Baseball, Basketball, Broadcast, Coaching, Golf, Soccer, Action Sports & Olympics, Digital Marketing, Sponsorships, Strategy & Planning, Research & Insights, Lifestyle, Multicultural, Social Media, Influencers, and Media Rights.
Wasserman is looking for a Senior Manager with experience and passion for sponsorship marketing and events, as well as consolidating and further developing the emerging Middle-East operation.
This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of key brand client projects, as well play a pivotal role in the staging of properties under representation. The Middle-East operation is part of Wasserman’s EMEA network and now encompasses key offices and projects in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha. Reporting to the SVP – Middle-East, the Senior Manager will work with our small local agency team, roster of clients and a multitude of agency partners/suppliers, as well as the wider Wasserman global network to deliver outstanding results.
In collaboration with the EMEA team on a number of key projects, including representing one of the UAE’s leading sponsors, as well as our exclusive promoter role of two leading golf tournaments, you will take the lead on golf consulting, sponsorship activation and major event staging delivery. At the same time assisting with many different aspects of client work, including new business development to surpass client expectations and deliver on the region’s ambitious growth plans.
With a strong understanding of brands, sponsorship strategy and activation, as well as advanced proficiency in technical event operations, this position is a critically important role in replacing an outgoing team member, but also to drive the business to new heights.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of agency and client side experience, working in a sponsorship and events capacity, with strong account and project management responsibilities. You will also possess a strong working knowledge of the UAE and broader GCC market, as well as feel comfortable to navigate the industry internationally to bring best practice to bear for Wasserman Middle-East.
You should have experience developing sponsorship strategy and implementing activation campaigns for brands, as well as core event management and delivery skillset. A mix of intellectual, desk-based work with sleeves rolled up on-the-ground event logistics and operations. You will demonstrate an experience of strong work output, particularly in client-facing situations e.g. strategy presentations, account & project management, media content production, financial/internal communications, measurement & evaluation.
Wasserman Middle-East was founded in March 2014 and has quickly grown to be a leading player in the region, with a highly-desirable client roster and strategically significant set of events and properties under management. In addition, Wasserman-managed talent visits the region regularly and requires an awareness of, and co-operation with our global talent management network. We are, however, still in growth mode and all team members need to be able to adapt from start-up to established agency practitioner mode. A good deal of flexibility is required from our staff and granted by the company to ensure the optimum work environment, whilst still in our early years locally.
Finally, you should demonstrate a passion for sports and entertainment content and the role brands and agencies play in creating and distributing it, as well as how we – Wasserman – continue to Push Possible. You should love golf, whilst it’s so much more than just one sport, and understand the local factors and nuances of the Middle-East region.
Sponsorship Activation Campaigns
- Build on success of clients’ activation campaigns to deliver “best yet” in 2017/18 year-end and Desert Swing cycle.
- Plan ahead for client budget and business case approvals, as well as challenging them to do more year-over-year.
- Draw from best practice in the agency elsewhere, including Wasserman Experience award-winning live event capabilities.
- Integrate broader Wasserman capabilities and industry trends e.g. digital, technology, Insights, media content, talent procurement etc.
- Constantly provide consultative advice to client to prove our continued value and expertise that they cannot provide/hire in.
- Creative and innovative at all times.
- Put all measurement & evaluation plans in place ahead of time, working with Wasserman Insights teams to generate revenue and increased scope.
- Take responsibility for external validation schemes e.g. industry awards submissions.
- Manage key stakeholder relationships – beyond the client, but other event promoters, venue owners, local authorities – for harmonious campaign delivery.
- Manages client and partner relationship to ensure the client is fully leveraging all benefits and assets.
- Manages brand integration; work with clients to understand and meet their business objectives.
- Excellent 3rd party supplier relationships, for flawless quality, cost-efficiencies and organic business development opportunities.
- Briefing and evaluating suppliers regularly to attain most competitive pricing and value-add for our clients, including writing briefs and RFPs where necessary.
Event Operations & Delivery
- Eyes and ears of our clients to instill maximum confidence that their event delivery is in safe hands at all times.
- Takes lead role in tournament operations and delivery i.e. all “on course” / on-site logistics.
- Manages visual presentation of the events, including working with branding supplier and creative teams on optimal brand identities.
- Works with key stakeholders (e.g. Tour, Sports Council, venue) on the technical set-up aspects from formatting to on-site staging, branding and logistics
- Maintains a critical eye on health & safety measures, as well as required local licenses and permissions.
- Project plan / timeline – to be delivered ahead of time and foresee last minute complications and the ability to accommodate these.
- Tangible event operations aspects such as new technology enhancements, merchandising and other endemic enhancements.
- Work with wider team on other event operations aspects e.g. travel logistics, creative/media & marcomms, other client agency partners, as required to fulfil the healthiest “state of the union”.
- Regular budget management, alongside Corporate Finance team, to ensure not just on-time but on/under budget delivery.
- Takes lead on proactive client communications, in particular project plans, status updates and value-add advisory.
- Present an “always on” and “client first” positioning at all times.
- Manages interagency relationships; works with outside agencies and partners to ensure smooth execution of all client programs.
- Assists with management of day-to-day contractual elements of the various relationships while also managing expectations of each party.
- Maintains a good working relationship with key stakeholders to ensure all parties receive appropriate attention, support, and ensures Wasserman is in lock-step with the client’s plans as it relates to the growth and changes.
- Understands the landscape for each client’s business as well as the industry contexts for their investments. Builds cutting edge strategic plans for clients to meet and exceed objectives.
- Uses forward thinking initiative to identify the next best strategic opportunities and continue to deliver top results to the client.
- Ensures that all processes and procedures are completed and quality standards are met.
- Excellent administrative file-keeping (Box cloud system) and budget management for ease of rest of team’s awareness and most up-to-date knowledge.
- Builds relationships with clients to encourage new and repeat business opportunities.
- Works with clients to develop concepts, secure buy-in with internal client teams and external partners, work with research & insights and creative services to bring concepts and strategies to life, oversee program execution.
- Assists SVP in new business pitches as arise throughout the year, including contribution to international pitches / RFPs where best practice resides locally.
- Takes a proactive approach to lead generation and property sales – complying with our biweekly new business development commitments and rallying cry.
- Revenue generation for our properties (tournaments) under management at all times.
- Quickly understands Wasserman’s capabilities and services, and effectively communicates all offerings to clients and prospects.
- Thinks daily about business development and new revenue opportunities with existing clients and prospective clients.
- Energetic for success to Push Possible every day, often on their own initiative.
- Works with SVP & Sr. Manager to present plans, updates and reports to RHQ & GHQ on a regular basis.
Key qualifications, experience & skills for the Senior Manager include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.
- 5+ years relevant experience with minimum 3 years of direct experience agency and/or client side.
- Proven experience in account and project management (preferably in the sports or entertainment field).
- Working knowledge of project management fundamentals, especially as pertains to campaign and event logistics delivery.
- Sleeves rolled up attitude, with ability to adapt to jacket and tie consultative presentation mode.
- High-level proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; advanced skills in PowerPoint and Excel for deck development and budget management.
- Possess exceptional communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Superior interpersonal skills and be able to create a rapport with people of all demographics.
- Passionate and entrepreneurial with a desire to see a fledgling international agency’s regional office grow to market-leader status.
- Motivated, goal oriented, persistent and a skilled negotiator
- Trustworthy, reliable, confident and mature in dealings with clients, people and issues.
- High level of initiative and works well independently and in a team environment.
- Plans and carries out responsibilities with minimal direction.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to think creatively when planning the right strategy, taking into account key client needs and budget parameters.
- Effective contract negotiation skills and familiarity with contractual language.
- Requires self-management, including the ability to assess a situation and quickly implement solutions.
- Must be able to multi-task and be flexible enough to react under stressful, event-time circumstances (particularly Oct-Feb).
- Social media strategy, content creation & implementation would be a bonus, as well as strong copy writing skills and a familiarity with media/PR space.
WASSERMAN is a full service, culture-centric agency built to serve the best talent, brands and properties in the world. We are united by our passion and belief in the power of culture.