Executive Director (Partnership Sales)
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Board & Executive, Business Development & Sales|
The Volvo Ocean Race is the ultimate test of a team in professional sport – and its the longest and toughest professional sailing event in the world, sailing’s premier round-the-world race – one of the sport’s Big Three global events, along with the Olympics and America’s Cup.
To truly understand the race, though, it’s better to think of it in terms that the hundreds of sailors who have taken part over the years will recognise immediately.
Put simply, the Volvo Ocean Race is an obsession. For over 40 years, the race has exercised an almost mythical hold over some of the greatest ever sailors – many of whom have dedicated years, decades even, in trying to win it.
It began life in 1973 as the Whitbread Round the World Race and to this day it remains in competition terms the ultimate test of a team, as well as remaining a great planetary scale adventure.
The teams, and the event, are commercially backed by brands and host cities who derive value from their partnerships with the race by using the sophisticated and emotionally powerful platform in many different ways – across B2B, B2C and B2E activation. A powerful business to business, and money-can’t-buy guest experience platform, is supported by a global and significant media, and digital communication delivery.
The 2017-18 edition will start in Alicante, Spain in October and finish at the end of June in the Hague. The competing teams will cover 45,000 nautical miles around the world, stopping at a total of 12 landmark Host Cities in key global markets. The event is managed and supervised from Race HQ in Alicante, Spain.
A significant evolution of the event is planned for 2019 – Volvo Ocean Race 2.0 will take the event up yet another level in both sporting and commercial terms. With this in mind, we are looking for some key new recruits to match our ambitions in terms of increasing revenue streams on both event and team funding.
The role of Executive Director is, as part of the Sales Force team, to identify new revenue streams with our existing sponsors, including but not limited to the following areas:
- Identify, target and develop relationships at CEO, Board and decision making level with each of our stakeholders, with objective to increase each Partner’s involvement in the race in the future.
- Help design and define, together with the Sponsorship Director and Chief Business Development Officer and in alignment with the corporate strategy, a targeted and continuous renewal and upselling sales plan for existing partners.
- Assist the overall sales force effort, by increasing the target list though own network, make calls, set meetings, pitch and follow up leads
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Solid commercial background and proven track records focused on renewal and up-selling of sponsorship sales, and closing of multi-million Euro deals
- Strategic thinking, planning and implementation
- Strong team player, with the capacity of working alone effectively
- Excellent network in our target markets
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills
- Sailing background and/or knowledge, a plus
- Sports motivated/driven
- Previous Volvo Ocean Race and America’s Cup experience is a plus
- Fluent spoken and written English, valuing also a high level of Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, or French.
Requirements to apply:
- Preferred EU national or valid EU resident card
Your CV/resume MUST be in English, detail which role you are applying for, confirm your nationality/work permit status and email your application.
Volvo Ocean Race
The Volvo Ocean Race is an exceptional test of sailing prowess and human endeavour which has been built on the spirit of great seafarers - fearless men and women who sailed the world’s oceans aboard square rigged clipper ships more than a century ago.