Head of Coach Development
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Coaching & Sports Development|
The England and Wales Cricket Board was established on January 1, 1997 as the single national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales. It has its headquarters at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London.
The formation of the ECB was the culmination of a drive towards creating, for the first time, one unified body responsible for the management and development of every form of cricket for men and women. This included clubs, schools, juniors and youth, disabilities cricket, representative, first class and international cricket - the whole game from playground to the Test arena.
In 2016, the ECB launched its new strategy, “Cricket Unleashed” with a focus on driving participation in the game and introducing a new generation of fans to cricket. Innovative and substantive change is being driven through the whole game and the Head of Coach Development will be provided with the autonomy, support and resources to build a genuinely world class coaching programme. High quality coaching is fundamental to the delivery of the “Cricket Unleashed” strategy and the individual appointed to this role will interact with all parts of the business making a significant contribution at all levels of the game from grass roots through to elite.
The Head of Coach Development will be responsible for the ECB’s long-term Coaching strategy: Coaching Unleashed. The role will report to the Director of England Cricket and be responsible for developing, delivering and embedding Coaching Unleashed.
Coaching Unleashed will contribute directly to the More Play and Great Teams elements of the ECB’s overall strategy: Cricket Unleashed http://www.cricketunleashed.com/
The development and leadership of Coaching Unleashed will require the role holder to interact and exert significant influence at a strategic, tactical and operational level with key internal and external stakeholders and is business critical to the delivery of Cricket Unleashed.
Successful delivery of the strategy will require the fostering of long term, effective working relationships with internal and external personnel and agencies. The result will be an improved experience for all involved in the game.
- Develop, deliver and embed “Coaching Unleashed” – the ECB’s Coaching Strategy
- Develop an understanding of how coaching will need to adapt to support the rapid evolution of the game at the International level as well the challenges of the Participation & Growth agenda
- Develop a strategic understanding of how coaching shapes and inspires the experience of participants at all levels of the game
- Understand the range of learning environments and tools that will support the ongoing development of coaches
- Embrace modern and innovative learning theory and ensure it is applied effectively in the context of cricket
- Continue to build the ECB’s reputation in relation to Coach Development and inspiring positive experiences
- Ensure there is a coherent coaching pathway, which delivers for all levels of the game and all participants
- Lead the strategy, people and programmes within the Coach Development department and all associated budgets
- Ensure that any change programmes are led effectively and that internal and stakeholders can adapt their approach where necessary
- Create strong working relationships with ECB colleagues and ensure Coaching delivers on behalf of the ECB strategy
- Influence stakeholders at a strategic, tactical and operational level
- Be an ambassador for coaching and learning
- Communicate the strategy through outstanding relationships and strong leadership
- Inspire others through a range of verbal and written communication techniques
- Work closely with key internal stakeholders at both Elite and Participation levels across the men’s and women’s game
- Use communication to influence and guide stakeholders
- Use data to assess, monitor and report success measures
Experience, knowledge & qualifications
- Proven track record of implementation of a learning and education strategy
- Experience of working in a senior leadership role
- Experience of monitoring the impact of a learning strategy
- Significant professional background leading a complex learning-based strategy
- Contemporary knowledge of learning theories, environments and tools
- Track record of applying modern learning techniques into a professional environment
- Knowledge of coaching and coach development in a sporting environment would be an advantage
- Awareness of Volunteering would be an advantage
- Passion for cricket
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- A post-graduate qualification / professional qualification in a relevant subject would be desirable
- Level 3 coaching qualification in sport would be desirable
The ECB has its HQ at Lord’s Cricket ground in London with the National Cricket Performance Centre based in Loughborough.
Significant amount of time will be spent working collaboratively with colleagues at both locations as well as travelling widely throughout England and Wales.
How to Apply
To apply candidates should send the following:
- Letter of application highlighting relevant experience
- Up to date curriculum vitae
- Details of current remuneration
Applications should be sent to Alistair Milner by Friday 17th February 2017 no later than 1800 hours.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact:
Alistair Milner on:
+44 (0) 207 092 6966
England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB)
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the governing body for all cricket in England and Wales. ECB provides support for the game far beyond the boundaries of just international and first class cricket.