Communcations Officer Intern
To communicate the role and activities of the Football Foundation and Football Stadia Improvement Fund and its associates across multiple media outlets. To also help provide public relations (PR) support to the funding partners.
The Football Foundation is the nation’s largest sports charity. It funds the development of better sports facilities for communities across the country with money provided by the Premier League, The FA and the Government via Sport England. This role includes a unique year-in-industry placement in the exciting world of football and in a friendly environment.
- Produce press releases, media briefings, draft speeches and photography briefs to a high standard, consulting with colleagues as necessary.
- Manage communications aspect of organisations’ portfolio of projects, using the in-house data management systems to produce reports and ensure projects are appropriately publicised at the key stages.
- Help the Communications Manager provide communications consultancy service to the funding partners. Providing national briefings, bespoke briefings regarding specific projects, logistical support around launch events, where required.
- Work with Communications Manager to provide detailed briefings for VIPs and media attending project launches that we ourselves are managing.
- Assist the Communications Manager in the delivery of high profile events, as required.
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of strategic, top-level PR initiatives, as required.
- Work with the Communications Manager to identify and develop opportunities to enhance the Foundation’s brand as a delivery agency.
- Manage the media monitoring and evaluation to ensure that coverage achieved is captured, measured and recorded. Also flag-up key pieces of coverage to the relevant colleague/s as and where necessary.
- Creation and maintenance of media lists and other distribution lists e.g. ONSIDE magazine.
- Management and maintenance of photo libraries.
- Produce rich content for organisations’ websites.
- Draft regular articles for media partners (such as SHOOT magazine, FC Business and the Non-League Paper), and other ad hoc opportunities as they arise.
- Help produce the organisations’ publications, including: the magazine, ONSIDE; the e-newsletter, Top Corner; and the annual reviews.
- Assist with stakeholder relationship and communications. This will include managing the production of letters to MPs for grant announcements to providing content and info/stats for County FAs.
- Assist with delivery of social media and digital communications (for example, producing videos for YouTube; Twitter, Flickr and LinkedIn content.)
- Work with Communications Manager to develop contacts with journalists at both regional and national levels, with the aim of securing local and national coverage of all aspects of the organisation’s work.
- To undertake duties as can be reasonably expected to ensure the smooth running and efficiency of the department.
- To carry out duties and responsibilities of the post at all times in compliance with Foundation policies – especially Equal Opportunities and Health & Safety.
- Occasional travel within the UK may also be required
Key skills and attributes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly creative mind.
- A keen news-sense.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Planning and organisation.
- Diligence and attention-to-detail.
- IT literate.
- Proactive self starter.
- Some experience in media or communications is ideal but not essential.
- An interest in football ideal, but not essential.
- An interest in politics and the charities is ideal, but not essential.
If you are interested in this unique opportunity to kick-off an exciting career in PR, then please apply with a completed application form that can be downloaded as well as:
- Covering letter
- Examples of your work (e.g. articles or press releases that you have written).
There are two internship places available and the successful applicants will be students on a suitable sandwich degree course requiring a year-in-industry. Please note that you will only be contacted by the charity should you be invited for interview.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 25 November 2016. Interviews are scheduled for early December 2016.
The Football Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.