PR and Communications Assistant
|Location||Cowes, Isle of Wight|
|Sector||Agencies & Sponsors|
|Function||Marketing & Communications, Agency, PR & Communications|
OC SPORT OVERVIEW
OC Sport is a global sports marketing and event management company specialising in professional sailing, outdoor events, managing competitive teams and athletes, and provides consultancy to brands, host venues and other events. Our offices in the UK, France and Switzerland, form the OC Sport Group.
The Extreme Sailing Series™ annual circuit comprises eight events across four continents. The 'stadium racing' and short-style races, pioneered by OC Sport for the circuit, brings the racing right in front of the spectators and is a comprehensive sailing entertainment event, that packages the sport of professional sailing to appeal to the public and media, also providing an award-winning VIP guest experience.
This Internship has the potential to provide the successful candidate with greater knowledge in PR and Communications areas of the Sports Marketing industry.
Based in the UK office in East Cowes on the Isle of Wight, the internship position is a full-time role.
Reporting directly to the Communications Director, and working closely day to day with the PR Director and Communications Executive, to support the teams activities, and develop your own skills, the role specifically includes, but is not restricted to, the following:
- Onsite support at some Extreme Sailing Series™ events throughout the year, including, but not limited to, distribution of content, providing support on communications, liaising with teams, assisting with press conference & photoshoots, media centre support, liaising with media
- Assist with media trip logistics e.g travel, accommodation
- Support on the coding/logging of media coverage for evaluation reports and compiling media reports
- Mail-outs and distribution of content e.g. press releases, video advisories, hard copy mailings, plus management of all mail-out lists
- Production of event manuals
- Ordering and updating media assets (USB keys, wrist bands, etc)
- Media accreditation processing and database upkeep
- Uploading content to various platforms, e.g website, Digital Media Exchange
- General office support duties, telephone answering, postal/courier duties
This list is not exhaustive and you will be required to manage any reasonable tasks as and when required.
- Must be a UK or EU national.
- A real passion for a career in communications evidenced in previous experience and interests.
- Good creative writing skills with the desire to develop those skills working alongside the current media team.
- A desire to learn, develop a greater understanding of communications and PR, and be able to take on more responsibility.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft office packages, particularly Excel, and understanding the necessity to undertake database work and content processing.
- A good working knowledge of social media is beneficial, along with a knowledge/interest in websites (including Content Management Systems).
- Excellent organisational skills and self-motivated personality with the ability to work to tight deadlines, cope with event pressures, and manage their own time effectively, who can take instruction and work well within a small and hard-working team.
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, and confident in liaising effectively with both internal and external parties.
- An enthusiasm for travel and attendance at some Extreme Sailing Series events throughout the year to support the media team on site. (Number of events to be defined)
- You must be fluent in English and ideally with a second language.
- Sailing knowledge would be beneficial but not essential.
- A love of sport and outdoor events is a must!
OC Sport has a strong commitment to our training and development roles and we value highly the skills and abilities of our trainees. Whilst we are unable to guarantee employment at the end of this Internship we have many interns who have excelled in their role and have subsequently been offered full time positions within OC Sport.
- January 2017 for 12 months
- £550 per month contribution to living costs• £270 per month
- 20 working days holiday per annum,
- Travel & accommodation are covered if attending events; expenses are paid in accordance with current policies
- Travel costs for one return travel from your home to Cowes with prior approval
- Office hours are generally 9am - 5.30pm, but you may be required to work extra hours during busy periods and on events
Your application MUST be in English, include a CV/resume, detail which intern role you are applying for, confirm your nationality/work permit status and tell us a little bit about you:
What’s the bravest thing you have ever done?
What is your proudest achievement?
What sports do you enjoy and/or clubs you are involved in?
Make sure you answer each of the questions shown above, either in writing or in a video.
OC Sport is a global sports marketing and events company specialising in professional sailing and outdoor sports.