Get the stats: women in sport
Published: 01 Jul 2015
With the Women’s football World Cup Final in Canada tacking place this coming Monday here’s a look at the latest Workforce and commercial investment / media coverage statistics from our friends at gender equality charity Women in Sport.
LEADERSHIP & WORKFORCE
In 2014 Women in Sport’s Trophy Women? report tracked the number and percentage of female Board members, executive positions and all leadership positions across Sport England funded National Governing Bodies. The report also looked specifically at four key leadership roles: Chief Executive; Chair; Development Director; Performance Director.
- 49% of Sport England funded National Governing Bodies have less than a quarter of their Board membership made up of women
- Over a quarter of Boards surveyed reported a lower percentage of women on their Boards compared with the prior year
- 23% of NGB Chief Executives were female
- 11% of NGB Chairs were female
- 33% of NGB Development Directors were female
- 18% of NGB Performance Directors were female
COMMERCIAL INVESTMENT & MEDIA COVERAGE
Commercial Investment & Media Coverage statistics are taken from Women in Sport’s 2014 report Women’s Sport: Say Yes to Success.
- Women’s sport makes up 7% of all sports media coverage in the UK
- Just over 10% of televised sports coverage is dedicated to women’s sport
- 2% of national newspaper sports coverage is dedicated to women’s sport
- 5% of radio sports coverage is dedicated to women’s sport
- 4% of online sports coverage is dedicated to women’s sport
- Between September 2011 and December 2013, women’s sport received just 0.4% of reported UK sponsorship deals in sport
- Between September 2011 and December 2013, women’s sport sponsorship deals accounted for 5.4% of the total number of sponsorship deals recorded
- The most valuable women’s sport deal recorded in the World Sponsorship Monitor in 2013 totalled £450,000 (Continental // FA Women’s Superleague)
- The most valuable men’s sport deal recorded in the World Sponsorship Monitor in 2013 totalled £280,000,000 (Adidas // Chelsea FC)
New jobs with agencies, sponsors & media companies are listed on Globalsportsjobs.com each week. Click here to sign up to our ‘Jobs by Email’ feature to get all new listings sent straight to your inbox.