Considering studying Sports Management – how about Birkbeck University?
Based in one of the great international cities of the world, Birkbeck College Department of Management , University of London, has been offering research-led, internationally-orientated, postgraduate education in sport management since 2000, latterly through a portfolio of eight taught programmes ranging from the MSc Sport Management & the Business of Football to the MSc Sport Marketing, the curriculum informed by the research activity of the Birkbeck Sport Business Research Centre. The portfolio curriculum has a strong applied management ethos, for example, making extensive use of professional managers from the sports industry as guest speakers.
We hear from Sean Hamil, Director of Birkbeck’s Sport Business Centre on the value of an education from Birkbeck to career development and what makes Birkbeck stand out in a competitive educational marketplace.
Students in sport management at Birkbeck gain the following benefits to supporting building a career in sports business:
- Study, at a research-led UK university, drawing on the expertise of the Birkbeck Sport Business Centre
- Study at a university that has been researching the sport business for twenty years.
- Gain a Birkbeck, University of London degree, with its international recognition.
- Study sport-focused modules at the core of the curriculum – not as an add-on.
- Lectures, external industry speakers, and seminars to encourage debate – an informal and welcoming learning environment.
- A diverse international student body - UK, EU and rest of world.
- Full-time and significant part-time student numbers, many part-time students working in the sport industry – additional value-added of experience-enhancing student body diversity.
- Strong sport sector vocational focus - provides the skills and expertise needed to compete in the sport industry.
- Strong focus on external industry engagement through Birkbeck Sport Business Centre public seminar series.
- Central London location, in one of the world’s great international cities
The strong international orientation of Birkbeck’s sport management offer is illustrated by its partnership with four other leading European universities in the Master in European Sport Governance (MESGO), a senior executive sport management programme supported by six European sport federations including UEFA; and in the UEFA Executive Masters for International Players (MIP), an executive programme developed for former elite professional players.
The Birkbeck sport management programme portfolio enrols approximately 80 students each year. Approximately 40% are from the UK, a mixture of full and part-time students. The balance of student enrolment is made up mainly of students mainly from other European Countries, and from Brazil, China, Japan and Korea. So whilst Birbeck’s student body reflects the global diversity of the sport industry itself, international students studying at Birkbeck still receive an education in the British tradition, studying, debating and socialising with home students.
In summary, the Birkbeck sport management portfolio is underpinned by a commitment to excellence in research and teaching, and a desire to offer our students a positive social experience in a strongly internationally orientated university institution, in one of the great international cities of the world, which draws on all the traditional academic strengths of a British university.