Rugby Services Manager Europe
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations, Event Planning & Competition Management|
World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union based in Dublin. In addition to its governance functions World Rugby organises a number of international tournaments and events including the Rugby World Cup, Women’s Rugby World Cup and the annual HSBC Rugby Sevens World Series and Women’s Sevens World Series Competitions.
World Rugby wishes to appoint a Rugby Services Manager Europe, reporting to the General Manager, Game Growth. The Rugby Services Manager Europe will be required to deliver highly effective and competent Rugby Services to the Regional Association (Rugby Europe) and to Unions in the Region (Europe) for World Rugby.
Inspiring growth in the game and increasing participation in Rugby
- Advises and monitors on the plans and processes to grow the game in the Region in conjunction with the Regional Association and member Unions with a specific focus on increasing participation in rugby, increasing registered and non-registered player, teams and programmes
- Ensures the Regional Association and the Unions have updated development plans to deliver growth in Fifteen – a - side, seven – a side and non-contact forms of the Game
- Oversees implementation of World Rugby development programmes, Get Into Rugby, Impact Beyond and other initiatives and resources to increase participation in Rugby with the relevant structures and staff in the Regional Association and Unions
- Liaises closely with the World Rugby GM Development and Rugby Europe staff on development policies and activities to grow the game.
Lead, manage and promote development activities and programme
- Plans leads, manages and reports on World Rugby and regional development programmes
- Works to deliver the World Rugby strategic and development priorities in the Region
- Ensures effective reporting on development programmes and activities in the Region
- Ensures integration and co-ordination of the World Rugby Development plan and programmes with other World Rugby Departments and stakeholders
- Oversees development and management of the Regional Partnership Agreement
- Ensures the Development Investment Programme (DIP) to the Regional Associations and member Unions is planned, managed and reported on.
Provide strategic support to the Regional Association and Unions
- Works with the Regional Association (Rugby Europe) to ensure Rugby strategies and priorities are delivered in the Region
- Manages and implements the Leading Rugby Programme in the Region in conjunction with Rugby Europe and member Unions
- Ensures that Unions have appropriate administrative processes in place to deliver the strategic, operational and Rugby plans.
- Completes Union Visits/Reviews in in the Region and reports using relevant reporting templates and online tools.
- Implements new Union Development Programme to support relevant Associate and new Unions progress in World Rugby membership pathways
- Provides advice on strategic, operational and Rugby development planning to Unions and when required facilitates the production of those plans.
- Advises and guides the Region and Unions on securing and processes Olympic solidarity investment
- Works with World Rugby and the Regional Technical Services department and staff to ensure there is growth in accredited coaches, match officials, medical staff and strength and conditioning coaches.
- Works with CAP + Regional Association to ensure Unions are prepared to participate in Regional Competitions at the appropriate level
- Advises on appropriate competition structures within Unions.
- Works in conjunction with other World Rugby and Regional Association departments and staff to deliver rugby development, training and education programmes.
Ensure World Rugby and member Regions and Unions comply with best practice governance principles
- Attends Regional Meetings – ensure Regions and Unions comply with best practice governance and operationally principles
- Attends all relevant regional meetings to represent World Rugby ensuring that World Rugby strategic and financial interests are protected and represented.
- Monitors strategic, operational and Rugby development plans in member Unions on a yearly basis and ensures that annual operational plans are in place.
- Ensures that there is a consistent application of measurable KPIs key performance indicators across all the member Unions in Europe.
- Advises on Governance structures within Unions in line with best practice for National Governing Bodies.
- Negotiates with Unions whose Governance structures do not meet the required standards and facilitates improved Governance structures often in difficult circumstances.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Department of Development and International Relations on Governance and Union development matters.
- Works with the management of the Regional Association workforce and where required provides direct oversight of Regional Staff in agreement with the Regional Association
- Oversees the development and monitoring of the Regional Partnership Agreement with the Regional Association
- Implements a performance review process of Regional employees as required
Skills and Competencies
Key Skills and Attributes
- Excellent Rugby development, knowledge and expertise
- Rugby planning, development and programme management skills and expertise
- Facilitation, strategic planning skills and knowledge of governance models
- Ability to advise on organisational development matters
- Ability to interpret financial data and information such as budgets, financial forecasts, cash flow projections and balance sheets.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to cope with cultural diversity
- Ability to speak and write English, French to a very high standard
- People management skills
- Tertiary qualification
- Plans, manages and delivers work programme in line with World Rugby priorities and policies
- Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of Strategic planning, operational and Rugby planning processes.
- Facilitates the development of quality strategic (operational and Rugby) plans for Unions.
- Ability to advise on organisational development matters and organisational competencies in all aspects of the organisation including Rugby and ensure the implementation of good governance structures often in difficult situations.
- Demonstrates an in depth knowledge of financial matters including budgets, forecasts, cash flow and balance sheets.
- Prepares detailed reports in accordance with World Rugby templates and protocols on areas of responsibility relating to Regional and Union activities.
- Communicates effectively with World Rugby departments and staff members.
- Utilises World Rugby computer technology effectively.
- Undertakes training needs analyses and makes recommendations on potential solutions.
- Represents World Rugby at Union, Regional and external meetings utilizing a high level of tact and diplomacy.
- Acts in operational roles at World Rugby Tournaments in the Region when required.
Please submit your application no later than close of business on 3rd April 2019.
World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union based in Dublin.