Head of Elite Player Development
The IRFU is seeking a Head of Elite Player Development who will be responsible for the management and enhancement of the IRFU elite player pathway. This will encompass responsibility for the National Age Grade Representative sides and the Provincial Academy and National Talent Squad structures. The Head of Elite Player Development will have strong working relationships with key stakeholders in Irish performance rugby structures to maximise the emergence of future Irish professional players.
This position is being offered on fixed term contract basis.
For a full job description please see below.
The closing date for applications is strictly, Friday 05th April 2019 at 13:00pm.
The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT
Role and Purpose of Position:
The Head of Elite Player Development will be responsible for the management and enhancement of the IRFU elite player pathway. This will encompass responsibility for the National Age Grade Representative sides and the Provincial Academy and National Talent Squad structures. The Head of Elite Player Development will have strong working relationships with key stakeholders in Irish performance rugby structures to maximise the emergence of future Irish professional players.
Operational and functional reporting relationship to the IRFU Performance Director
- National Academy Forwards & Skills Coaches
- HPU Performance Analyst
- Branch Academy Managers/Elite Player Development Officers/Provincial Talent Coaches
- IRFU Talent ID Coordinator
Experience & Qualifications:
- Demonstrate a proven ability in the development and implementation of Elite Player Development Systems.
- Demonstrate a proven ability in the development of professional rugby players over recent years.
- Recognised World Rugby or related Union technical qualifications.
- Experience and evidence in the management of a significant annual budget.
Skill & Abilities:
- Demonstrate skills in strategic management and planning.
- Demonstrate sound leadership skills including the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Demonstrate knowledge of organisational planning, financial management, performance management and corporate governance.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a result focussed environment.
- Demonstrate skills in the management of people, organisational problem solving and the management of change.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key elements of Elite Player Development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of best international practice in the world game in the Elite Player
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Contribute to the overall success of the IRFU Strategic Plan
- Manage the department plan in line with the IRFU Strategic Plan and objectives
- Report departmental progress regularly to the IRFU Performance Director, identifying strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Select, develop and motivate a department of qualified staff members.
- Provide strong leadership and coaching to department through training and performance management.
- Provide feedback and counsel to staff members on performance issues.
- Engage in the IRFU Performance Management process.
- Forecast and dispense HP budget using prudent financial controls.
- Review and further develop the IRFU Elite Player Development Programme including the NTS, to maximise the development of Irish professional rugby players
- Together with Head of Coach Development direct and review the operation and performance of the Age Grade National teams. Make recommendations re appointment of Coaches/Managers at that level.
- Ensure programme alignment to Elite Player Development philosophies.
- Ensure the Elite Player Pathway provides a pool of the quality players from which to populate our National age grade sides leading to selection for Provincial Academies and Professional sides.
- Broaden the selection base to include 7s from a wider range of existing rugby players & players in other sports.
- Work closely with the professional team staff at Provincial & National level, to identify positional gaps and to take steps to remedy same via the succession process and the elite pathway.
Unity of Purpose:
- Develop a strong working relationship with key stakeholders in each branch that directly or indirectly effect the Elite Player pathway.
- Review and report on the effectiveness of the current NTS and representative pathways in meeting succession and planning objectives. Recommend and implement modification adjustments as appropriate.
- Together with Provincial Academies Managers oversee the selection process of players for Academy positions in the 4 Provinces.
- Audit on an annual basis the “on” and “off” field performance of all Academy members.
- Work closely with Provincial Academy Managers/EPDM’s on the induction of Academy graduates into the professional system.
- Maintain updated database of all NTS and academy players.
- Together with your team manage the monitoring of performance of players in the Elite Player pathway, representative teams and AIL
- Be a driving force behind the development of “the total rugby player” via career training and life skill education.
- Benchmark on a continual basis the elite system to ensure the introduction and implementation of world class practice and techniques in the Irish Elite Player Development process.
- Work closely with the IRFU Head of International Talent ID in the identification of suitable Irish eligible players of professional potential to progress into the Irish system aligned to succession planning.
- Contribution to the IRFU strategy, objectives and success
- Department plan and budget agreed by the IRFU Performance Director
- Provide regularly updated on departmental progress against stated objectives and goals of the Strategic Plan
- Retention of quality staff.
- Maximise training opportunities to department staff to ensure all departmental staff apply best world practice in this area.
- Staff success and satisfaction.
- Team effectiveness and delivery of department goals.
- Timely and effective conduct of performance management process in line with company guidelines.
- Budget control
- Forecast and planning
- Timely delivery of all individual elements of the Elite Player development programme in line with the IRFU Strategic Plan
- Maintenance of the Elite Player Development Programme.
- Timely delivery of all recommendations for change or modification to the IRFU Performance Director
- Oversee, adjust and implement any necessary changes to increase the efficiency of the Provincial Academy structure, and the Elite Player Development pathway.
- Ensure current systems cater for the late developer.
- Introduce new process to identify likely professionals from other sports.
- Work closely with IRFU Performance Director, Provincial Head Coaches and National Management to identify positional shortcomings in the medium to long term.
Unity of Purpose:
- Regular communication via workshops and meetings.
- Present study and review to IRFU Performance Director.
- Secure national and provincial agreement for any modifications.
- Track the development and performance of NTS and Academy players.
- Be significantly involved in the selection process at provincial level.
- Confirm renewal or rejection of existing Academy contracts.
- Player induction into the professional game is a significant performance indicator as to the effectiveness of the elite development system - Academy player that graduate into the professional game that is linked with adequate number of playing stats.
- 100% of Schools & Clubs fully engaged in the National Talent Select Programme.
- Work closely with Rugby Players Ireland to maximise number of qualified, readily employable players.
- Annual review and report to the IRFU Performance Director.
- Timely recommendation for any adjustment or alteration to meet best international practice and standards.
- Regular communications, meetings, player analysis and attendance at matches for review purposes and alignment
- Extensive weekend/unsociable hours of working.
- A lot of travel involved (internal and external).
- Attend all age grade national games (internal and external).
- Attend where feasible all provincial representative age grade games (internal).
- Attend Provincial Academies regularly.
- CEO of IRFU
- IRFU Performance Director (operational & functional relationship)
- Professional Game Board
- Department Staff Members
- Head of Athletic Development and science IRFU
- Head of Coach Development
- Medical Director
- Provincial Head Coaches/Branch CEO’s
- National Coach
- IRFU Head of 7’s and Women’s Rugby
- Provincial Academy Managers
- Heads of Rugby Development Rugby Managers
- National Age Grade Representative Team Managements
- Provincial Age Grade Representative Team Managements
- Age Grade Manager
- HR/Finance Dept/Marketing Dept
- Players in the elite process
- Media & Journalists
- Business partners
- Key clients
- Educational establishment
- Other sporting organisations