Volunteer Senior Manager
- FIFA and the Qatar LOC have recently created a new Joint Venture which is responsible for the operational delivery of the FIFA World Cup 2022.
- The Volunteer Senior Manager takes the lead role in the sourcing, selection, and basic training of volunteers for the FIFA World Cup 2022 and oversees all pre-tournament volunteer efforts. The position also acts as a champion of the volunteer experience throughout their journey.
- The Volunteer Project, led by the Volunteer Senior Manager, works closely with other organisations, particularly the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (SC) and FIFA, to deliver an integrated volunteer programme that provides critical operational support and contributes substantially to the legacy of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. The incumbent also facilitates the engagement of the broader community through a volunteer advisory council.
- The Volunteer Senior Manager will work closely with other members of the Workforce Management Department to plan headcount requirements, coordinate training plans, support tournament-time volunteer deployment and management, and ensure the volunteers are recognised and rewarded for their contributions.
- Oversee the sourcing, selection, basic training, engagement and retention of volunteer workforce members through an integrated programme serving tournament operations, host country operations, and other related activities.
- Implement the pre-tournament volunteer programme, including recruitment of volunteer candidates, management of deployments and ongoing communications.
- Act as a key liaison for the Volunteer Project with internal and external stakeholders and national volunteer organisations to promote volunteerism and achieve volunteer legacies.
- Develop a sourcing strategy and implement recruiting campaigns to source volunteer candidates.
- Implement selection and assessment tools that deliver the best match of talented candidates to available volunteer roles.
- Oversee an orientation training programme that provides basic skills, knowledge and information that support volunteer readiness for their roles.
- Manage the communications with volunteer candidates and oversee a volunteer contact centre.
- Support planning processes for the volunteer headcount requirements for the tournament.
- Support overall legacy objectives as relates to volunteers.
- Liaise closely with Workforce Management and with appropriate counterparts within the SC on all volunteer-related matters.
- Direct a team of professional staff and volunteers.
- Ensure volunteers are considered in the important services to the JV workforce leading up to and during the FIFA World Cup (e.g., uniforms, transport, accommodation, etc.)
- Participate in the tournament as a key member of the management team overseeing workforce delivery
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years of experience in major event workforce management, particularly with expertise in the management of volunteers
- University degree in appropriate subject (or adequate training/vocational education)
- Excellent understanding of volunteer motivations and behaviours
- Advanced communication skills
- Experience working with public and private sector partners in a collaborative environment and ability to build strong partnerships
- Ability to motivate others toward a common goal
- Experience in a dynamic, high-volume recruitment environment
- Proven track record in managing complex projects
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility when faced with ambiguity or constant change
- Strong IT skills including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Outstanding analytical skills
- Fluency in English required; other languages are an added benefit
- Positive attitude, patience and persistence
- Experience in international sports / event management and a passion for sport
- Knowledge of local culture will be an added benefit
FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Skills Framework
COOPERATION: Capacity to work in a team and to contribute to the accomplishment of shared objectives. Ability to share information and knowledge with colleagues at all levels (equals, superiors and subordinates), within unit and towards other units / divisions.
INCLUSIVITY: Ability to identify, construct and maintain a network of support contacts to achieve the objectives of the organisation.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Inclination to dedicate oneself to one’s responsibilities, to care about the quality and to assume the consequences of one’s own actions and/or decisions.
INNOVATION: Capacity to break new ground, look for different solutions, come up with fresh ideas. To think and act unconventionally.
TRANSPARENCY: Ability to objectively analyse one’s behaviour and action, to identify shortcomings, question oneself and learn from one’s mistakes.
LEADERSHIP: Ability to lead one’s contacts/colleagues/partners to produce the expected results (by persuasion or compulsion if necessary), to encourage teamwork by favouring co-operation.
DECISION MAKING: Ability to recognise situations requiring a (rapid) decision and to take that decision, to take initiatives and calculated risks, explore different solutions, act promptly to the unexpected.
VISION: Ability to see the global impact of the development of the environment on the organisation, to anticipate the consequences of one’s decisions, to acquire a view of the organisation’s missions and to elaborate a strategy.
NEGOTIATION: Capacity to achieve constructive and positive results for the organisation by tangibly influencing others while taking account of their needs and expectations.