Head Coach (Cricket)
The Department and Role Purpose:
As a Department Experience Durham is striving to play a pivotal role in developing, delivering and transforming a Wider Student Experience that is as impactful as anything in the world. We remain steadfast in our core commitment to accelerating the growth of far-reaching and market-leading programmes across performance, participation and community outreach, whilst fostering a culture that safeguards academic excellence. We are guided by the belief that an investment in the Wider Student Experience is ultimately an investment in the quality of graduates that the University produces and are motivated by the opportunity to engage and inspire the next generation of talent. In doing so, we feel confident that we are making a positive contribution to the development of rounded, global citizens.
Durham University is one of Europe’s leading sport universities and has been ranked as Britain’s Number 1 Team Sport University since 2013. In the autumn of 2019 the University will complete the construction of a £32m Sports & Wellbeing Park, adding to a prior investment, on the same site, of £8m in 2012. The Park will include a new 5 lane indoor cricket centre purpose built to ensure the sustainability of the Centre of Excellence programme (currently supported by the Marylebone Cricket Club – the MCC) and broader cricket objectives across performance, participation and community engagement.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and delivery of male and female performance programmes and, in doing so, will be expected to further develop and enhance key partnerships including the MCC, the English and Welsh Cricket Board and Durham County Cricket Club.
Student athlete recruitment will be pivotal to the role and the successful candidate will be expected to develop a network of identified clubs, schools and programmes throughout the world to further strengthen the recruitment process.
In addition, the successful candidate will oversee the growth of broader cricket initiatives in line with the strategic priorities of Durham University Sport. These developments will be underpinned by the opening of the new Cricket Centre during the summer of 2019 and will include:
- the growth of college cricket and the relevant support structures;
- further developing community programmes;
- building commercial income generative activity as part of an overall business plan designed to ensure the sustainability of Durham University Cricket.
- Lead on the design, delivery and development of the University Cricket Programme and support the management of the Indoor Cricket Centre.
- Provide specialist expertise and support with complexity of data and information sources, interpretation and analysis.
- Contribute to development of operational service activities to ensure excellence in the stakeholder experience.
- Collect and analyse stakeholder feedback to help define needs and requirements and the design and planning of cricket services.
- Internal and external relationship development and partnership working to engage and influence future services and the University reputation.
- Identify and design activities to meet learning objectives and outcomes.
- Deliver individual training sessions for male and female university representative players, monitoring progress and development.
- Maintain an awareness of current policy for University business goals such as widening participation and access, and provision of advice using specialist knowledge.
- Contribute to and lead business meetings, working groups and sub-committees at departmental and operational service levels.
- Responsible for managing the cricket budget in conjunction with the Head of Sport and Department Finance Officer.
- Provide management for the operation of a students, staff and local community focussed service delivery area, working specifically with the student executive to ensure the smooth running of the student club.
- Manage and monitor service performance and provide metrics and reports to Service Heads, making recommendations as appropriate.
- Participate in and monitor communities of practice and partnership working internally and externally.
- Manage the men’s and women’s student performance cricket programme activities to ensure excellence in the stakeholder experience whilst working closely with Team Durham support service practitioners to prepare both the men’s and women’s squads for the indoor and outdoor seasons.
- Work with Team Durham support staff to develop and deliver a cricket specific recruitment strategy to identify outstanding student athletes.
- Coordinate and recruit appropriate part time and voluntary coaches.
- Network and engage with external and internal stakeholders to gather feedback and identify future programme needs to ensure excellence in service provision.
- Contribute to the development of operational and strategic plans and service level agreements.
- Prepare and manage the programme budget and monitor expenditure to ensure cost-effective service delivery.
- Produce and analyse key performance indicators to identify successful delivery and areas for future improvement.
- Distribute and process key programme information to all stakeholders.
- Plan, implement and monitor continuous service improvements to enhance the delivery of stakeholder programmes.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders using appropriate media and methods.
- Provide training and/or instruction of stakeholders.
- Contribute to the delivery of activities that generate external income.
- Develop, modify and optimise service protocols and methodologies.
- Deliver support elements of the wider student experience.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific Role Requirements:
- The role will require evening and weekend work.
- The role will require travel within the UK and spending nights away from home.
- A CV
- The person specification and RYPA grids (available within the Job Description on the below attachment) which you should copy into a separate document for completing and submission
- A covering letter which details your experience, strengths and potential in the requirements set out above