Head of Communications
Job: Head of Communications
Hours of Work Full time, 9AM – 5:30PM, with flexibility required
Manager Commercial Director
Direct Reports Communications Team
Do you want to help deliver a bold new vision for UK motorsport?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Head of Communications to join the national governing body, Motorsport UK. Motorsport UK represents over 45,000 competitors and volunteers and over 720 clubs at the heart of motorsport. Now, under the leadership of the Chairman David Richards CBE, we are investing in an exciting period of change to drive growth and create a sustainable future for motorsport in the UK.
Your primary remit is to reach out and engage members, media, B2B and consumer audiences, effectively communicating relevant messaging of our recently launched new purpose.
Central to your role is growing our membership from its current base of competitors, clubs and volunteers and engaging the wider public, convincing them to support the work of Motorsport UK and join our membership organisation.
Your typical responsibilities as Head of Communications will include:
- Ownership of all our communications channels and messaging; from news releases, magazines, member direct mails, website and social media vehicles
- Managing and mentoring the communications department and team
- You will be required to ensure that we deliver against our activation commitments and manage internal and external expectations appropriately
- You will strategise and lead on all matters pertaining to organisational reputation
- You will manage and report on your plans, KPIs and successes weekly
- You will own the continuing roll out of our recently introduced new brand identity and all its assets across all channels
- You will be expected to head up all communications for our major sporting events including the British Grand Prix and Rally GB
- Thinking ahead, working on and delivering strategic annual campaigns that Motorsport UK can deliver in an integrated manner across its channels
- Lobbying key stakeholders and influencers and through persuasive arguments communicating our messaging
- Thinking creatively to produce new ideas and concepts with which to target specific prospects
- Being a spokesperson and thought leader of the organisation
- Creating presentations that succinctly communicate key ideas
- Working with a range of specialist, mainstream, digital, marketing and B2B media to sell our ideas to provide our agenda with a broader and keeping up to date with emerging technologies
- Managing corporate and major event crisis communications
- Proofreading to produce accurate and high-quality work
- Being an adept copy writer with the flexibility to write in a number of different styles
You will be a self-starter, capable of working autonomously.
You will be equally at home strategising, developing the messaging for various channels and getting your sleeves rolled and delivering our content.
You will be highly adept with both PowerPoint and Excel, and conversant with a wide range of project tools from Microsoft suite, Adobe products, Sharepoint, OneDrive Google Drive, Dropbox etc.
You will understand the importance of communications planning and plan and deliver different messaging across different channels to differing audiences.
We operate in a fast-moving world and you will be expected to keep abreast of the environment, thinking on your feet, and applying yourself accordingly.
A qualification in PR, marketing, communications or other relevant degree is highly useful, however a proven 5+ year track record in a similar role will be of equal importance.
It is highly likely that the successful candidate will have some experience both of working within an agency and client side with a commercial rightsholder.
You will have previously worked in sport communications.
A working knowledge of digital, OTT and emerging technologies will be a great asset.
You must have a full, clean driving licence.
Working hours are typically 37.5 hours a week, however the workload is significant, and we require commitment and flexibility in order to achieve our company objectives, usually with some flexibility around start and finish times. You'll likely have to work extra hours when deadlines are approaching, including working into late to get a job finished to everyone’s satisfaction.
While the majority of the role is office based, however you will be required to attend external client meetings.
Our sport happens at weekends and you must be fully committed to travel to a number of events and support as required.
Knowledge and Skills
Apart from pragmatic communications/ public relations skills, you will need to show:
- An understanding and appreciation of motorsport on many different levels
- A commitment to getting out and about at a number of UK motorsport events
- A passion and enthusiasm for delivering high quality work
- A flexible approach when working as an important part of a team
- Excellent communication skills to interpret and negotiate client requirements
- You will have strong and compelling copy-writing skills
- A demonstrable analytical mind with a meticulous attention to detail
- Good presentation skills and the confidence to explain and sell ideas, while overcoming objections
- Time management skills and the ability to cope with several projects at a time
- Accuracy and attention to detail when finalising work
- Being open to feedback and willing to make changes to your work
- Effective networking skills to build contacts
- A confident and effective communicator of your ideas
- A thirst for knowledge and commitment to continuous improvement
- A flexible, responsive and can-do attitude