Head of Communications
Reporting to: Executive Chairman
Remuneration: A competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Based in: Central Manchester.
Background: Rugby League is an intense, attritional, collision-based sport. Our players are athletic, skilful, brave, mentally and physically tough and positive human role-models. Our Clubs sit at the heart of proud, mainly northern communities that have rediscovered their confidence and ambition. Our sport has a proud, rebellious soul and is founded on family-based, inclusive values. Super League is the sport’s elite competition.
Seeking to apply a discrete focus on the performance of Super League, in June 2018, the Clubs appointed an Executive Chairman, and, in December 2018 secured a small, dedicated team to develop and present a rejuvenated Super League to broadcasters, the media, commercial partners and fans.
Within an existing limited company (Super League Europe Limited), the new organisation is tasked with securing commercial growth, largely from: a) broadcast rights; b) commercial partnerships; and, increased attendances at Super League events – the Grand Final and ‘Magic’.
In a short space of time, under ‘New Beginnings’, Super League has delivered meaningful and substantial changes to the competition to improve the product, deliver a statement of intent to stakeholders and showcase Super League’s most appealing attributes.
The team will shortly move into new offices in the Northern Quarter in Manchester.
Our needs: Super League needs to proactively, professionally and strategically manage media and communications with key stakeholders – fans of Super League, broadcast and commercial partners, and commentators familiar with Super League - those who share our passion for Super League.
Accordingly, Super League is seeking an energetic, dynamic and ambitious Head of Communications to join the team at this exciting and pivotal moment in the sport’s history and take responsibility for all aspects of communication within the rugby league and sporting communities.
The successful candidate; will have excellent, wide-ranging media contacts in traditional and digital platforms. You will have demonstrated previous experience in advising at Board-level on crisis and reputation management and being the organisation’s senior spokesperson. The successful candidate will have excellent political acumen and stakeholder management skills. You will also have a track record of helping to build or re-position brands, including campaign management. You will be able to write, speak and present well, demonstrating a passion for Super League.
The Head of Communications will also share the responsibility for Super League to ‘break out of the bubble’ and help Super League become more relevant to a new and younger audience. To achieve this critical objective, Super League intends to appoint Communications advisers to develop and execute a project-specific, strategically-timed PR plan. You will be responsible for the selection, appointment and management of our Communication advisers.
You will be required to:
1. Develop, share and execute a communication strategy aligned to business and brand objectives, which highlights your specific role and responsibilities for monitoring, managing and improving Super League’s profile, image and reputation.
2. Proactively manage and monitor Super League content and narrative, and report to stakeholders on progress, challenges and opportunities.
3. Secure, appoint and manage Communications advisers to deliver discrete PR objectives.
4. Help coordinate, align and support all marketing, brand, communication and commercial advisers.
5. Advise and support the Executive Chairman, senior colleagues and the Super League clubs on communication opportunities and responsibilities
6. Represent Super League as Official Spokesperson.
7. Manage, motivate and mentor the Super League’s media team and be responsible for internal and stakeholder communication, including alignment with RFL communication.
8. Lead, advise. monitor and share best practice with Super League Clubs.
9. Manage and maintain positive Club relationships.
10. Become the reference point, owner and coordinator of crisis and reputation management on a ‘24/7’ basis.
The appointment may be made subject to a DBS check. If you are an applicant with a disability who meets the essential requirements of the job, we will interview you. We would be pleased to receive applications in alternative formats. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy, marital/civil partnership status or religious background. Super League (Europe) Limited is committed to equality through diversity.
Please submit your application by 22nd February 2019. Please note only candidates requested for interview will be contacted.