Social Media Executive
World Sailing is the world governing body for the sport of sailing, officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
World Sailing is responsible for:
- the promotion of the sport internationally;
- managing sailing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games;
- developing the Racing Rules of Sailing and regulations for all sailing competitions;
- the training of judges, umpires and other administrators;
- the development of the sport around the world; and
- representing the sailors in all matters concerning the sport.
The principle members of World Sailing are the 145 'Member National Authorities' (MNAs) and the 100+ 'Class Associations'.
We have a clear and ambitious vision:
A world in which millions more people fall in love with sailing; inspired by the unique relationship between sport, technology and the forces of nature, we all work to protect the waters of the world.
To make sailing more exciting and accessible for everyone to participate or watch, and use our reach and influence to create a sustainable future for our sport and the waters of the world.
- Establishing budgets for digital media, managing financial performance and reporting to management
- Delivering creative cost effective solutions
Social Media management
- Responsible for maintaining all organisation’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest accounts (and other accounts as deemed relevant)
- Writing social media relevant reports, photo, videos, race guides, features articles, news pieces
- Liaising with other teams to ensure social media are kept up to date and in full working order e.g. hyperlinks intact
- Working with Brand Team staff to deliver wider content plans and objectives
- Monitoring social media performance (e.g. traffic and engagement), setting KPI’s and strategic and tactical targets
- Creating, managing and implementing the social media content plans and strategy
- Working with partners and their social media teams to help support their sponsor strategies
- Maintaining a content partnership with other stakeholders including MNA’s and class associations
- Liaising with third-party contributors
- On and off-race content capture
- Jointly, with digital manager, managing digital/social staff rotas
Event Media as directed by Communications and Digital Manager
- As directed by Communications and Digital Manager, to attend World Sailing regattas and events as required, and within this, on event:
- The production of social and digital content, in line with event strategy and as directed
- The production of Race reports and interviews including but not limited to Olympic Sailing Competition, WORLD SAILING Worlds, WORLD SAILING Sailing World Cup, Youth Worlds, WORLD SAILING Meetings
- Liaise/maintain relationship with host organisers social media teams
This is a role that will require a detailed and proven skill set in sports related social media management. It also has a broader comms function to support the general comms content production, management and distribution, as directed by the Communications & Digital Manager.
Given the nature of an international federation – there is the need to coordinate activities with multiple parties, including but not limited to the MNA’s, class associations, sailors, boat builders and IOC, ASOIF etc.
The individual will need to help build respect for World Sailing, establish trust in its people and actions, and importantly inspire people to follow and engage with the sport of sailing.
The role has responsibility for all aspects of social media – and as such holds a critical interface with both internal and external stakeholders. The rapidly changing landscape of social media means that the role must be highly dynamic and au fait with latest trends, tools and techniques of social media – aiming to lead the sports market.
A general comms/PR experience will be required so that the executive can become part of a broader comms team. The nature of events means that there will be aspects of multi tasking and ad hoc requirements, and a can-do attitude to getting work done is essential.
Relationships & interfaces:
Strategic reporting to:
- Line Manager – Communications and Digital Manager
Support & Guidance to:
- Stakeholders in sailing community e.g. MNA social/digital teams
- Key Partners
- World Sailing staff
Personal attributes & experience:
- Strong experience of social media delivery
- Detailed knowledge of all aspects of social media strategy and analysis
- Direct responsibility for managing key social media projects
- Strong background in creation of content for digital and social media
- Experience of working within the social media environment in sports
- Experience of on-event media handling at the front line in sports
- Experience managing and delivering across a range of stakeholders
- Experience of dealing with fast moving events in crisis operation mode
- Strong PR experience with knowledge of consumer, corporate & sports media
- Trusted relationships with national and international social media channels
- A track record for meeting and exceeding goals within strict timeframes
- Excellent command of written English (official language of World Sailing)
- Good communication ability, both verbal/presentation and in writing
- Attention to detail, e.g. grammatical, ensuring publication of correct information
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office + Adobe Photoshop experience would be an advantage)
- Copy editing/photo library management
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of the social media marketing environment
- Outstanding creativity in content creation
- A highly analytical mind to assess all aspects of performance – skilled use of Excel and other tools to produce reports
- Experience working within the sports environment
- Completely comfortable working irregular hours and extensive international travel
- Languages: excellent written & verbal English plus French and Spanish strongly preferred, as well as any other languages
- Full driving license
- Understanding of sailing and knowledge of its history and key people
- Desk top publishing
- Video editing skills would be an advantage
- Graphic design skills would be an advantage