7 days left
- Full Time
World Sailing is the world governing body for the sport of sailing, officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
World Sailing is responsible for:
- the promotion of the sport internationally;
- managing sailing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games;
- developing the Racing Rules of Sailing and regulations for all sailing competitions;
- the training of judges, umpires and other administrators;
- the development of the sport around the world; and
- representing the sailors in all matters concerning the sport.
The principle members of World Sailing are the 145 'Member National Authorities' (MNAs) and the 100+ 'Class Associations'.
We have a clear and ambitious vision:
A world in which millions more people fall in love with sailing; inspired by the unique relationship between sport, technology and the forces of nature, we all work to protect the waters of the world.
To make sailing more exciting and accessible for everyone to participate or watch, and use our reach and influence to create a sustainable future for our sport and the waters of the world.
- Establishing budgets for digital media, gaining approval from line management for same, managing financial performance and reporting to management
- Delivering creative cost effective solutions
- Daily news updates
- Edit news stories to World Sailing style, publish
- Maintain photo library
- Publish photo galleries
- Creation of original World Sailing content
Website development and maintenance
- Be the first point of contact for World Sailing’s external website supplier
- Create content as appropriate (for example, Youth Olympic Games, Anti-Doping, Race Officials applications). Update information/logos/style as required.
- Produce advisory information for media/members/users
- Overall management of sailing.org interactive services/graphics/adverts/brand
- Develop commercial potential of sailing.org (e.g. gaming/advertising)
- Advise and support technical queries from colleagues, particularly in relation to the online development of content relating to their department.
Newsletters and Press Releases
- Maintain World Sailing press database
- Compile weekly World Sailing newsletter
- Assist in the writing and distribution of World Sailing Press Releases (including World Sailing Events, World Sailing Publications etc.). Average 5-10 press releases per month
- Daily review of the marketing and media inbox and response to queries
- Co-ordination of delivery of weekly e-newsletter World Sailing News and distribution list
- Assist with the co-ordination and creation of press releases and website/ social media news
- Main World Sailing website and associated database – (currently hosted on Sotic clustered server)
World Sailing Database Management (training given) in coordination with technical and events departments
- Member database (incorporating Committee Members, Race Officials, Sailors, and individuals within the Organisations)
- Organisations database (incorporating Classes, Member National Authorities, National Olympic Committees etc)
- World Sailing Classes database (simple database with details of the World Sailing Classes)
- Document Management system
- Sailor Classification
- Mailing system
- Online voting
Event Media as directed by Communications and Digital Manager
- Liaise/maintain relationship with classes, Member National Authorities, International Federation press officers
- As directed by Communications and Digital Manager, the production of Race reports and interviews including but not limited to Olympic Sailing Competition, World Sailing Worlds, Sailing World Cup, Youth Worlds, World Sailing Meetings
- Deal with World Sailing media queries at above events
- Development of event apps tied into fan engagement, integration with site / other platforms
- Liaise/maintain relationship with sailing journalists/photographers
- Produce pre-Games information for the next Olympic Games Host Organisers (OCOGs)
- Work with OCOGs on Olympic News Service provision
- Work with OCOGs, website supplier and World Sailing website developer to present the International Data Feed from the Olympic Games across World Sailing’s digital platforms.
This is a role that will require a detailed skill set in sports related digital media management. It also has a broader comms function to support the general comms content production, management and distribution, as directed by the Communications & Digital Manager.
Given the complex nature of an international federation – there is the need to coordinate activities with multiple parties, including but not limited to the MNA’s, class associations, sailors, boat builders and IOC, ASOIF etc.
The individual will need to help build respect for World Sailing, establish trust in its people and actions, and importantly inspire people to follow and engage with the sport of sailing.
The role has responsibility for all aspects of digital marketing and media – and as such holds a critical interface with both internal and external stakeholders. The rapidly changing landscape of digital means that the role must be highly dynamic and au fait with latest trends, tools and techniques of digital media.
A general comms/PR experience will be required so that the executive can become part of a broader comms team. The nature of events means that there will be aspects of multi tasking and ad hoc requirements, and a can do attitude to getting work done is essential.
Relationships & interfaces:
Strategic reporting to:
- Line Manager – Communications and Digital Manager
Support & Guidance to:
- Stakeholders in sailing community e.g. MNA digital teams
- Key Partners
- World Sailing staff
Personal attributes & experience:
- Strong experience of digital infrastructure and operation
- Detailed knowledge of all aspects of digital design and delivery
- Direct responsibility for managing key digital delivery projects e.g. development of websites and apps
- Strong background in creation of content for digital and social media
- Experience of working within the digital environment in sports
- Experience of on-event media handling at the front line in sports
- Experience managing and delivering across a range of stakeholders
- Experience of dealing with fast moving events in crisis operation mode
- Strong PR experience with knowledge of consumer, corporate & sports media
- Trusted relationships with national and international print and broadcast media
- A track record for meeting and exceeding goals within strict timeframes
- Excellent command of written English (official language of World Sailing)
- Good communication ability, both verbal/presentation and in writing
- Attention to detail, e.g. grammatical, ensuring publication of correct information
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office + Adobe Photoshop experience would be an advantage)
- Copy editing/photo library management
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of the digital marketing environment
- Experience working within the sports environment
- Completely comfortable working irregular hours and extensive international travel
- Languages: excellent written & verbal English plus French and Spanish strongly preferred, or other relevant language skills
- Full driving license
- Understanding of sailing and knowledge of its history and key people
- Desk top publishing
- Video editing skills - Adobe Premiere Pro experience would be an advantage
- Graphic design skills