This role is pivotal to managing the communications function, both internal and external, of the ICF. Providing strategic thinking to all public relations and communications, the job holder will be experienced in handling the media and creating strong and influential relationships. Working across departments the job holder will support all aspects of the organisation’s communications strategies and platforms.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the ICF’s brand identity; broaden awareness of ICF globally; identify the priorities and increase the visibility of canoeing across key stakeholder audiences.
- Build on the communications/public relations strategy allowing the ICF leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the ICF. Work with the Secretary General and Executive to recognise internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counsellor to the ICF leadership.
- Communication Operation Responsibilities
- Oversee development of all ICF print and online communications including, marketing collateral materials and digital communications the ICF website and social media; manage relationships with partners and suppliers.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the ICF.
- Exercise judgment to prioritise media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding ICF competitions, programmes, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and global development through fostering relationships with continental and national federations as well as key stakeholders including the IOC, Sport Accord ASOIF and others.
- Mentor and develop those within the ICF communications network (NFs, Continental Federations and Contributors) using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis. Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Demonstrate experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing programme to advance an organisation's mission and goals.
- Develop and monitor global communication performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives and establish ongoing priorities.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience of communications ideally within a sports industry context.
- High level computer literacy preferably with a knowledge of video editing and design tools (web / print)
- High level of analytical skills including knowledge of SEO and social media monitoring tools.
- Experience of media and database of relevant contacts desirable.
- An interest in and knowledge of the structure of international sport is desirable, including an understanding of the stakeholders and funding mechanisms.
- Must be able to work effectively across all parts of the organisation and with relevant external partners.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong influencing skills and a solution focused approach to working cross departmentally with other colleagues.
- Must have a good level of planning and organising ability to enable priorities to be balanced between short term needs and longer term projects.
- Must have a high level of energy and drive and the ability and willingness to travel including at weekends as necessary.