Head of Legal Commercial Affairs - Legal Department
|Function||Legal, IT, HR, Finance & Procurement, Legal|
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Salary||Based on experience|
Attached to the Legal Director, the Head of the Legal Commercial Affairs unit draws up and manages the FIA's commercial contracts. He/she has a perfect command of the mechanisms of English and international business law, EU competition law and intellectual and industrial property law.
He/she carries out the following missions:
Putting in place and drawing up complex contractual mechanisms under English and international law:
- Providing expertise in commercial law (international contract law) to propose often complex contractual arrangements, adapted to the constraints encountered in international sport
- Taking part in contractual negotiations in liaison with the Marketing Department and proposing arrangements and the wording of clauses in conformity with current practices
- Drafting commercial or service contracts appropriate in line with the development needs of the FIA Championships, as well as any other contracts
- Drawing up contracts (licences) to protect / control the intellectual property (IP) / prerogatives of the FIA (safety, homologation) and partnerships (institutional image, campaigns, etc.), while respecting the policies and fiscal constraints applicable to the FIA's activities
- Following the evolution of the draft contracts to guarantee their execution (in particular, checking that the central "Promoters" of the FIA Championships respect their obligations)
- With the help of the secretariat, filing and recording the contracts in the computer database as well as managing the payment schedules
- Drafting and updating the procedures relating to the contracts (in conformity with the applicable international / community / French / Swiss / English regulations)
- Being the principal point of contact, with the Legal Director within the FIA for answering questions relating to contracts
Integrating the principles of European competition law into the FIA’s contractual policies:
- Drawing up contractual strategies in light of competition law
- Defining and developing procedures for appointing Promoters of FIA Championships with significant economic repercussions (managing the procedures for selecting candidatures to take part in the championships, defining the calendars of the events in the FIA Championships, etc., in conformity with competition law)
- Analysing the risks and adapting the procedures within the organisation
- Applying and integrating the principles of competition law into the centralised promotion and commercial contracts
- Coordinating litigation / questions of competition law with external advisers
- Monitoring the evolution of European competition legislation
Supporting and assisting the Legal Director in the following areas:
- Drafting replies, proposals and projects in connection with a variety of subjects;
- Taking part in the management of disputes in the realm of contractual responsibility under English law, compiling of appropriate dossiers;
- Taking a leading role in the implementation of a new Legal Practice Management Software system within the Legal Department;
- Mastering the fundamental principles of fiscal legislation applicable to the commercial exploitation of the FIA Championships;
- Researching (press reviews, legal research, monitoring the evolution of legislation and legal practices in Sports Law / media in the field of sport).
Participation in projects organised transversally across the organisation in a collaborative manner.
Management of the Risk Mapping Process within the organisation (with the assistance of an external consultancy firm) and the consequent adaptation of current insurance coverage and internal processes, where necessary.
- Supervising and guiding ongoing and recurring contractual activity of the unit
- Management of a team comprised of 2 lawyers, with the support of a paralegal
- Management of relationships with External Advisers
- A native English speaker, command of French (written and spoken) desirable,
- At least 10 to 15 years' experience as a Solicitor in an English law firm or as legal counsel within a sports or commercial institution,
- Significant experience in international contract law and competition law and a good understanding of industrial and intellectual property law,
- Management experience,
- Previous professional experience in the sports sector will be an advantage,
- Excellent drafting skills,
- Good oral communication skills,
- Good at working to deadlines,
- Sense of organisation and priorities,
- Skilled in negotiation, fast, open-minded and with a sense of teamwork
- Ability to work transversally across the FIA, participating in ad hoc teams created to manage specific projects and instilling a collaborative approach.
Open-ended contract under Swiss law.
Remuneration according to profile.
Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)
The FIA is the governing body for world motor sport and the federation of the world’s leading motoring organisations.