Director - Events, Marketing & Operations
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations|
The NBA’s international offices work to carry out the league’s strategy of growing the game of basketball globally by hosting NBA events around the world, creating sponsorship opportunities for local businesses, developing merchandising strategies with regional licensees, selling international media packages, and overseeing international public and media relations. Based in London, the Director of Events, Marketing & Operations will work across all business units on the design, planning and implementation of NBA events and operations throughout EMEA. This position will take a lead role in the management of our Global Games series and influencer marketing programs.
Serve as EMEA City Manager for Global Games in region, focusing on overall management of event operations; including:
- Work closely with NY/NJ colleagues on event operations and logistics;
- Day-to-day contact for event promoter and venues;
- Support management of marketing plans working in conjunction with Marketing team;
- Liaison with Global Partnerships on partner deliverables;
- Budget planning & internal event memo process;
- Support tracking all event costs;
- Manage any relevant agency contracts/RFP process.
Serve as project manager for new events (outside of existing event program); including:
- Manage projects from inception to completion;
- Coordinate involvement of other departments both in region and from US departments;
- Manage third party contractors, where needed.
Support management of celebrity/influencer marketing programs; including:
- Foster relationships with targeted ambassadors across sports and entertainment;
- Serve as internal contact to leverage opportunities;
- Manage contract process.
Manage day-to-day operations of player marketing initiatives serving as primary contact for EMEA:
- Support management on strategic partnerships in effort to maximize NBA business opportunities across region
- Maintain open and ongoing communication lines with New York and regional EMEA offices
- Monitor, research and track European trends in event sponsorship and marketing
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Fluent in English. A second language preferred, additional languages a plus
- Direct European event management experience
- Ability to work well in complex and dynamic environment
- Ability to develop strong relationships both internally and externally to execute successful events based on stated objectives
- Expertise in project management techniques and application
- Team player, self-motivated and goal oriented
- Excellent management skills (may have direct reports)
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Broad knowledge of event marketing, experiential marketing, media, brand management, promotions - conception through execution and event management
- Position will require significant international travel
- Excellent computer skills including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
Minimum of 8 -10 years of relevant international event and marketing experience
Educational Background Required:
The NBA’s entity that conducts the league’s business in Europe was formed in 1997 in Geneva, Switzerland. The NBA is committed to growing the sport, and stages regular-season games in partnership with FIBA, local federations and the Euroleague.