Director, Data Strategy
The Director of Data Strategy will be a key member of the new Data Strategy & Fan Loyalty department and will lead the development of a world-class business intelligence and data analytics infrastructure. The goal of the Data Strategy team is to gain an in-depth understanding of the NBA fan base in China to:
- Extract actionable insights that will support decision-making across all business units
- Enhance the NBA's relationship with fans to drive deeper/earlier engagement, more frequent activity, increased revenue and a lifetime love of the game.
Ultimately, the Director, Data Strategy will be responsible for elevating NBA China's use of data and instilling a data-driven culture.
- Help define a data strategy roadmap that includes the exploration, collection, analysis of all fan data today and tomorrow, focusing on the continual improvement of data quality and quantity.
- Own all layers of CRM infrastructure, including technical architecture, data integration/consolidation, data analytics, business intelligence.
- Optimize, aggregate, and streamline all data sources to develop 360 profiles of fans to determine how to market, communicate, and understand lifetime value of customers.
- Act as a data consultant to internal stakeholders and support data usage through the implementation of standard processes/procedures.
- Build and maintain BI models for internal clients (including predictive models, fan segmentation, churn models, lead scoring, demand forecasting, regression analysis, decision trees, and price elasticity measurement).
- Work with Legal department and business units to retain contractual access to fan data from new and existing NBA partners.
- Manage relationship and contract with 3rdparty CRM and digital marketing vendors to ensure maximization of these partnerships.
- Champion the importance of data-driven decision making throughout NBA China.
Required Experience & Knowledge:
- Passion for customer data and its ability to transform and drive marketing success. Ability to ask the right questions and pick the right problems to solve.
- Knowledge of the business intelligence domain and methodologies including data analysis, database design, metadata management, data modeling, data integration, data migration, data warehousing, data visualization.
- Intermediate to advanced programming skills enabling the extraction and manipulation of data from the data warehouse.
- Intermediate to advanced modeling skills for test execution and statistical analysis.
- Strong leadership skills to supervise team members/vendors and comfort working in a matrixed culture.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English and Mandarin (native speaker preferred).
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong multi-tasking skills.
- Passion for the NBA and a deep understanding of fan behavior preferred (but not required).
- 10+ years of total work experience.
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in an analytics group working as a data analyst/modeler, preferably with experience in building and deploying predictive and prescriptive models in a B2C environment.
- Experience/knowledge with experimental test design and hypothesis formulation, leading to incremental revenue generation.
- 5+ years of experience in managing of a team, vendors or agencies.
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or Computer Science.
- Advanced degree preferred but not necessary.