Sport Operations Manager
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations, Event Planning & Competition Management|
Commonwealth Games England (CGE) is responsible for preparing and delivering the England Team at the Commonwealth Games. CGE’s core purpose is to lead and manage the participation of Team England and to deliver excellent performance and support environments. CGE also aims to represent England positively and effectively within the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), and to raise the profile and reinforce the value, reputation and future of this great sporting event.
The next Commonwealth Games will take place from 4th – 15th April 2018 on the Gold Coast, Australia. Team England will be represented by more than 400 athletes across 18 sports, with a total expected Team Size of more than 600. Gold Coast 2018 will also showcase the largest ever Commonwealth Games para sport programme, with 7 different para disciplines integrated in to the competition schedule.
At the last Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014, England topped the medal table for the first time in 28 years with 174 medals. The challenge for our team in Australia will be significant and to create the right support team is critical. The management and development of our commercial partners is a key part of this support process.
The Sport Operations Manager will report to, and work closely with, CGE’s Sport Director on a number of key Games Delivery projects for both the 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas, and the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast. They must have a level of flexibility as the working environment and remit changes each month as Games Time nears.
Some of the projects and key responsibilities include:
Work closely with the Sports Director to build and maintain relationships with key individuals in each participating National Governing Body (NGBs) e.g. Sport Team Performance Leaders and administration staff, across the following areas:
- Coordination of content for Team Leader Workshops
- Assist in ratifying NGB Selection Policies
- Obtaining and maintaining Team Member Short List and Long Lists
- Sport Entries
- Pre Delegation Registration Meetings (Pre DRMs) with the Games Organising Committees
- UK Anti-Doping strategies, process and Team Member attendance
- Team Member statistics and analytics tracking
- Preparation, printing and posting of selection letters
- Develop and manage the Team England Athlete Ambassador Programme
- Post Games NGB debriefs and Transfer of Knowledge
- Deputise for the Sports Director where required
- Coordinate, manage and minute quarterly Sport Sub Committee meetings
Work closely and collaboratively with the Operations Director on:
Project planning, delivery and management of the Team Preparation Camp ahead of the Gold Coast 2018 Games
- Venue contracts
- NGB specific requirements
- Catering plans
- Transport fleet management
- Staffing schedules
- Arrivals and departures
Work with CGE’s travel partner to arrange travel to and from Games for the all travelling Team Members, including luggage and special assistance requirements
Work closely and collaboratively with the Head of Media and Communications on:
- Coordination and facilitation of Team announcements
- Games Time messaging o Ensuring Team values are recognised across all areas of the project
- Planning and coordination of ‘Welcome Hour’ for athletes in the Games Village
Successful applicants must also agree to complete an enhanced DBS check; attend a Safeguarding and Protecting Children workshop; sign the Team Members agreement and Code of Conduct which covers areas including:
- Handling all dealings with team members in a sensitive manner and without discrimination
- Be willing to work within a non-smoking environment and comply with any England Team policies regarding the consumption of alcohol during the games period
- Comply with any other relevant CGE policies eg Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety etc.
- A strong understanding of high performance sport
- Credibility within the sports sector
- Experience of working with NGBs, or within an NGB
- Experience of working with a major sporting event environment and with athletes
- A strong and clear communicator
- Ability to motivate others
- Interpret and anticipate change and respond effectively
- Have a strong understanding of a team ethic
- Accountable to the Sports Director
- Full-time role
- Appointed on an employment contract initially until end of June 2018
- Based in central London with significant national and some international travel
- Salary will be commensurate with the experience and expertise of the candidate
- Must hold a valid passport
Recruitment process and application instructions
Please briefly indicate in your covering note how you meet the requirements of the role.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 30 November 2016.
Successful applicants should be available for first round interviews on Monday 12 December 2016 and final stage interviews on Friday 16 December.
Interviews will take place in central London.
Equal opportunities policy
Commonwealth Games England is an equal opportunities organisation and is committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and potential employees. This includes the recruitment, selection, training, work conditions and career management/ promotion of employees. Commonwealth Games England opposes all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination on the grounds of colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status and civil partnership, gender reassignment, religion or belief, and disability and is committed to eliminating discrimination and harassment in the work place.
Commonwealth Games England
Commonwealth Games England (CGE) leads and manages the participation of the English team at the Commonwealth Games working closely with each sport’s National Governing Body (NGBs), our funding partner Sport England, and the Games’ Organising Committee.