This job is no longer available
Full Job Description
Birmingham Sport and Physical Activity Trust (Sport Birmingham) is an independent charity belonging to a powerful network of 45 County Sport partnerships across England, tasked with being the gateway to the City’s communities and ensuring that national and regional sport and physical activity resources have local reach. We work in partnership with Birmingham City Council, local schools, National Governing Bodies of Sport, clubs, coaches and volunteers to create and develop accessible sporting opportunities for the communities we serve.
The main purpose of this role is to maintain and develop the Marketing and Communications function for Sport Birmingham, ensuring that the purpose, work and role of the organisation is communicated in an effective, efficient and positive manner.
- To develop, deliver and monitor the marketing and communications strategy for Sport Birmingham and the implementation of the brand and all brand collateral in line with the core business objectives of the Trust.
- To work with the wider Sport Birmingham team to provide marketing and communications support for a wide variety and projects and programmes.
- To demonstrate impact and raise the profile and reputation of Sport Birmingham locally, regionally and nationally by utilising a variety of marketing techniques and communication tools.
- To support the implementation of local marketing and communication plans, particularly those which support National Governing Bodies of Sport (NGBs) campaigns and products.
Main Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- To use a range of communication channels such as social media, the Sport Birmingham website, e-newsletters, relevant local networks and publications to achieve increased awareness of Sport Birmingham programmes, products and services to the wider Birmingham area
- To help drive the development and delivery of marketing and communications plans for all projects, programmes and events (including those which are NGB-led) to support their successful delivery, including general tasks such as compiling mail shots and writing and distributing press releases
- To lead on the continued maintenance and content creation of the Sport Birmingham website and Workplace Challenge web platform, including updating and refreshing content to ensure it is relevant; writing and publishing news stories and leading on the production/distribution of the monthly e-newsletter
- To identify, communicate and present good practice, news stories and case studies to partners and external media contacts via our website pages and digital communications
- To work with the external design agency to ensure that all marketing collateral is produced efficiently, in line with brand guidelines and is cost effective.
- To lead on the PR and promotion of all fundraisings as part the charity’s work
- To develop mechanisms to communicate and promote sustainable sports development practice and activities (such as funding streams, initiatives, resources and events) internally and externally
- To write and issue regular press releases and develop strong relationships with the local press in order to secure regular coverage
- Support the Project Coordinator with the marketing and communications aspects of the Workplace Challenge programme, through the effective use of the online system including local / national challenges, user management, communication and reporting functions.
- To work with other team members to support monitoring, reporting and evaluation cycles of projects and programmes as required
The post holder must comply with Sport Birmingham Health and Safety policy and in particular is required:-
- To take reasonable care for their own health and safety at work and of those who may be affected by their actions or by their omissions
- To cooperate with their line manager and senior management, to work safely, to comply with health and safety instructions and information and undertake appropriate health and safety training as required
- Not to intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety and welfare.
- To report to their manager any health and safety concerns, hazardous condition or defect in the health and safety arrangements.
- Post holders will be accountable for carrying out all duties and responsibilities with due regard to the Sport Birmingham Equal Opportunities Policy.
Educational / Professional qualifications
- Degree in business-related subject, or relevant A-level qualifications and supporting work experience
- Good level of general education evidenced by 5 GCSE passes or equivalent.
- Working towards/achieved a degree in a Marketing, Media, PR, Journalism or sports-related field (desirable)
- Knowledge of current marketing & communications techniques and tools
- To be up to date with new legislation and policies related to marketing / social media
- Knowledge of current strategies, national initiatives and issues for sport in the UK
- Knowledge of the structure and an understanding of the roles different organisations play in developing sport in England (desirable)
- Knowledge of current funding streams relevant to the sport sector (desirable)
Skills and Abilities:
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills and the ability to motivate, enthuse, persuade, negotiate and influence.
- Excellent communication, organisational and writing skills with an ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure from conflicting priorities
- Ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
- Effective organisational skills, e.g. time management, managing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Well-developed IT skills across different tools and software e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point. Knowledge of InDesign would be an advantage.
- Project and event coordination skills
- An individual with 1-2 years’ experience in communications, marketing and promotion; to include digital marketing, social media, media & PR, sponsorship and event coordination (desirable)
- Experience of updating and monitoring digital and social media platforms (including web-editing, SEO, analytics and blogging)
- Experience of writing marketing copy, communications and press releases
- Experience of managing all print and digital output including video (desirable)
- Experience of initiating, maintaining and developing partnerships working with voluntary, public / private sector organisations and other agencies to achieve specific outcomes
- Experience of project coordination & development
- Experience of writing creative briefs and developing advertising campaigns (desirable)
- Experience of data inputting and interrogation (desirable)
- Experience in research including interpreting insight and the use of a range of research methodologies (desirable)
- This post is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. A Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required prior to appointment.
- A commitment to the development of equal opportunities, the encouragement of diversity and inclusion in, and through sport.
- Willing to undertake continuous professional development in relation to the role.
- Willing to work flexibly in relation to hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional overnight stays.
- Driver and car owner (desirable)
You must fill out an application form to be considered for this position!