Full Job Description
Help build on the success of Rio 2016, and contribute to the growth of one of the country’s top National Governing Bodies over a key period for the sport.
This is a great opportunity for a well-rounded, ambitious and creative person to further their experience of sports event management within a National Governing Body environment. With key responsibilities for developing the recruitment of competition officials, delivery of domestic competition portfolio and supporting our major events this will be an exciting and challenging role.
Badminton England is the National Governing Body for badminton in England, dedicated to growing the sport of badminton by enabling more people to play and giving those with talent the opportunity to fulfil their potential. As well as winning medals at the highest level we deliver national and world-leading events and, with over half a million people playing badminton every week, look after a membership base of over 100k.
Based at the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes, also home to the GB Performance Programme, Badminton England is led by a team of passionate and highly motivated professional staff and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds, with vast experience from within and outside the world of badminton, who are committed to living our values of Focus, Ambition, Courage and Teamwork.
Management and delivery of a range of competition to achieve Badminton England objectives to grow participation and provide a pathway for talented players to achieve their potential.
Support the operational, logistical and administrative delivery of the major events programme to achieve Badminton England objectives to grow the profile of the sport.
This will be achieved by working alongside a volunteer and professional workforce, operational planning and event delivery.
Key responsibilities, main tasks and activities:
- Supporting the development of a seamless pathway to provide opportunities for players to access competition at the right level and support talented players by
- Management of the Badminton England tournament circuits, providing exciting and high quality competition that inspires and motivates players.
- Management and delivery of a range of competition, including the flagship Senior County Championships and National Schools Championships.
- Management of a volunteer committee structure to support the delivery and development of the competitions including chairing, production of agendas and minutes.
- Forming excellent relationships with County Badminton Associations, delivery partners and sponsors to engage, influence, and support their needs.
- Raise the profile of competition on BE website and other media, and identify opportunities to increase engagement with sponsors.
- Support Head of Competition and Events to shape and deliver projects as part of future strategy.
- Management of tournament and technical officials by:
- Manage national selection and deployment of technical officials across competitions.
- Developing relevant training and resources to support the recruitment and professional progression of tournament and technical officials.
- Forming excellent relationships with volunteer workforce including Tournament Organisers Register, Referees Register, Badminton Umpires Association of England, Line Judge Association of England.
- Support Head of Competition and Events to shape and deliver future workforce strategy.
- Supporting the planning and delivery of Events
- Provide operational and logistical planning including acquiring and managing contractors, loading and transportation of equipment, sound/lighting, catering, fit out schedules, delivery schedules and meetings as necessary.
- Support the delivery of National Badminton League match nights, English National Badminton Championships, and Yonex All England Championships.
- Other Duties:
- Attendance at approximately twelve events (weekday and weekends), including unsociable hours and overnight stay.
- To comply with the requirements of BADMINTON England’s staff handbook;
- To undertake such other duties as may be appropriate to achieve the objectives of the post (or as may be allocated by the Head of Competition and Events).
- General information:
- The post-holder shares with all colleagues the responsibility to:make suggestions to improve the working environment within their area of work and BADMINTON England as a whole;
- cooperate with measures introduced to ensure there is equality of opportunity in employment and sports equity;
- comply with all aspects of Health and Safety Policy and arrangements
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
Please fill out the application form and read the guidance notes before applying.