Commercial Assistant, Extreme Sailing Series™
|Location||Cowes, Isle of Wight|
|Sector||Agencies & Sponsors|
|Function||Business Development & Sales, Events & Operations, Commercial Sales & Sponsorship|
|Salary||Contribution towards personal expenses|
OC SPORT OVERVIEW
OC Sport is a global sports marketing and event management company specialising in: professional sailing, outdoor sports (currently cycling and running) creating and running events, managing competitive teams and athletes on and off the water, and provides consultancy to brands, host venues and other events. Our offices in the UK, France, Singapore and Switzerland, form the OC Sport Group.
The Extreme Sailing Series™ annual circuit comprises eight events across four continents. The 'stadium racing' and short-style races, pioneered by OC Sport for the circuit, brings the racing right in front of the spectators and is a comprehensive sailing entertainment event, that packages the sport of professional sailing to appeal to the public and media, also providing an award-winning VIP guest experience.
The main objective of this role is to support the Commercial Partnerships Leader and the Commercial Manager in selling sponsorship for the Extreme Sailing Series™. It will include considerable research work, prospecting for new leads and packaging sales materials. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in sales, be a quick learner and keen to take on responsibility and independence in the sales process.
This role will involve both sales and new account development activities and will include, but is not restricted to, the following:
- Cold calling/prospecting for new leads under the guidance of the Commercial Manager
- Support sales activity through market, host venue and company research and analysis, and the extrapolation of this into creative ideas on which companies and host venues to approach, and how
- Support the team on nurturing a network of key contacts
- Preparing commercial presentations (general and customised) to be used by the commercial team in pitches to potential sponsors and host venue clients.
- Administration of the commercial team’s tools (Highrise, Basecamp, FileMaker, Google Docs, QSync etc) to ensure data is recorded, updated and accurate on a daily basis and that templates and sponsor documents are stored/shared
- Provide travel support to the team on booking flights, hotels and co-ordinating sometimes complex travel schedules.
- Co-ordination and administration of the Sponsorship Division’s guest experience programme.
- EU National
- Previous ‘sales’ experience, this could be anything from working behind a bar to a sales assistant in a shop
- Passion and hunger for selling sponsorship and a results-driven attitude
- Outgoing personality, confident in cold calling/prospecting, pro active, self starter, with an ability to open new leads without being pushy, and to create, maintain and nurture a network of key contacts
- Knowledge and understanding of the sponsorship and sports marketing in general and their supply chains, main actors and key trends
- Passion for sports and curiosity to learn about the professional sailing industry is important
- Fluent in English (both verbal & written) with excellent grammatical skills and the ability to write fluent, business English
- An eye for creating attractive, engaging presentations
- Understanding of creative design process – knowledge of Photoshop or the ability to learn
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Resilience and determination whatever the circumstances and results
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated personality with the ability to work to tight deadlines, cope with sales pressures, and manage their own time effectively, who can take instruction and work well within a small and hard-working team
- An understanding of the workings of a small, dynamic company and the need to work to tight budgets
- A working knowledge of Microsoft office packages, OC Sport is a Mac OS based company
- ASAP for 6 months
- £270 Contribution towards your personal expenses per month
- 20 working days holiday per annum,
- Free accommodation (incl. bills & WiFi) in the “crew house” in Cowes if needed. This is student style accommodation and you may have to share a twin room (with a person of the same gender). The other interns also share this house, so it’s quite fun!
- Travel & accommodation are covered if attending events; expenses are paid in accordance with current policies
- Travel costs for one return travel from your home to Cowes with prior approval
- Office hours are generally 9am - 5.30pm, but you may be required to work extra hours during busy periods
**From January 2017 accommodation will no longer be provided. The contribution to living costs will increase to £550**
OC Sport is a global sports marketing and events company specialising in professional sailing and outdoor sports ranging from running, cycling, to more extreme sports including adventure racing and trail running.