Full Job Description
FIH is seeking to appoint an experienced Event Manager who embraces and demonstrates the FIH values of being inclusive, optimistic, progressive and dynamic and has proven event management experience at international level.
The Event Manager will manage planning and delivery of FIH teams that are focused on developing innovative and exciting events as we work towards our strategic ambition to build a global game that inspires the next generation. They will be required to demonstrate strength in liaising with multiple stakeholders in complex pressure environments and the requirement to maintain a flexible approach to working on new projects.
Our purpose as the International governing body for the sport is to raise the global status and popularity of the sport of Hockey and the Event Manager will be part of the Event Delivery Team, which is responsible for the delivery of the FIH’s international portfolio of events made up of members of both the Sport and Events Departments.
The FIH has 135 member National Associations and enjoys a strong profile and following in many countries around the world. There is a clear opportunity now to build upon this exposure and seek to grow the game globally through targeted development work. In 2014, FIH launched its dynamic 10 year strategy under the banner of “Hockey Revolution”. This is a strategy to grow the game globally through developing innovative and exciting events, increasing professionalism in the sport, building a recognised powerful image for hockey and generating millions of more followers around the world.
The role is a full time position based in Lausanne, Switzerland and will require the ability to travel to support the delivery of events. The start date for the successful candidate will be as soon as possible.
Reporting to the Head of Event Delivery, the Event Manager will manage planning and delivery of an FIH team that is focused on developing innovative and exciting events as we work towards our strategic ambition to build a global game that inspires the next generation.
This will involve working closely with the FIH Sport Operations Manager, as well as FIH Broadcast Manager, Marketing, Communications & Media colleagues and members who make up the specific event delivery team for each particular event.
They will be required to demonstrate strength in liaising with multiple stakeholders in complex pressure environments and the requirement to maintain a flexible approach to working on new projects.
Key tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage the planning and delivery of an FIH Event across all areas of the business, including delivery of project plan, timelines and event itself, and work closely with the Sport Operations Manager, broadcast, marketing, comms and members of the wider event delivery team.
- Plan, prepare and deliver event specific areas of the event, working closely with the allocated sport operations manager, and manage /co-ordinate internal members of staff working on the event at FIH across all delivery areas of the business
- Liaise with Host National Association of FIH event and monitor host preparations of all event requirements, acting as the main planning point of contact
- Prepare and perform site visits and meetings in the pre-event phase and follow-up notes
- Manage set up and delivery of non-technical pre-event meetings and Event Briefing presentation
- Ensure delivery of the evaluation/debrief and issues/lessons going forward at the conclusion of the events including post event reports
- Manage and co-ordinate the transfer of knowledge for event organization and management between FIH and event organisers
- Where required, deliver specific event operational areas (outside of technical matters).
- Committed and enthusiastic individual demonstrating the FIH’s values
- Experience of working in national/international sports or major event industry projects
- Effective engagement of multiple stakeholders, both internal staff and external hosts and stakeholders in complex pressure environments
- Team work orientated inclusive approach to internal staff and external hosts as part of a diverse team
- Experience of working in a pressure environment
- Positive attitude to challenging situations and openness to change
- Can-do attitude to solving problems and issues
- Demonstrable leadership skills of good judgement, cooperation, respect and emotional intelligence
- Good planning and project management skills, with ability to deliver against targets
- Adaptability and flexible approach to working hours and operations.
- Ability to work on own initiative and make appropriate judgements on escalation requirements
Please send CVs by Wednesday 28 September 2016.
The FIH is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.