Head of Marketing and Communications
London 2017 Overview
In the summer of 2017, London will stage both the IAAF World Athletics
Championships and the IPC Athletics World Championships in the Olympic Stadium. It will be the first time that these two Championships have been staged in the same year in the same city.
London 2017 will be the sixteenth staging of the IAAF World Athletics
Championships and it will be held between August 5th and 13th, preceded by the IPC Athletics World Championships between 15th and 23rd July 2017. London won the IAAF bid in November 2011, in advance of the 2012 Olympic Games, and this was followed by a successful IPC bid one year later, following the success of the London Paralympic Games.
Both events were bid for by UK Athletics (UKA) and Greater London Authority (GLA) and will be supported by other funders including UK Sport. The events will be managed and delivered by a single Local Organising Committee.
To achieve our vision of delivering the best ever World Championships in 2017 we are seeking to recruit an outstanding team of individuals.
To be responsible for the development and execution of the Championships
Marketing, Communications and Ticketing strategies focused on achieving the Championships objectives. To provide leadership and management of the
organisation’s marketing, communications and ticketing teams. To take responsibility for all aspects of the marketing and communications activities of the organisation, the Championships and in particular the successful delivery of the ticket sales targets.
- To provide the planning and leadership to the Marketing & Communications Department, ensuring the appropriate structures, personnel, systems and competencies are in place in a timely manner to meet and exceed the organisation’s targets.
- To lead on the development and implementation of the ticketing, marketing and communications strategies delivering them on time, within budget, to a consistently high standard and to meet targets.
- To lead and manage all the marketing, communications and ticketing activities of the Championships to all customers and stakeholders.
- To sit on the organisation’s Management Group guiding the implementation of the overall strategy for the delivery of the Championships.
- To provide regular status reports on progress against plan to the Management Group and Board(s) as and when required.
- To line manage the Marketing, Communications and Ticketing teams to best deliver the Championships objectives using the resources available.
- To appoint and manage appropriate agencies to deliver services in support of the Championships.
- To manage the London 2017 and individual Championships brands including overseeing the development and implementation of the Championships venue and city dressing.
- To contribute to the development of the sports presentation plans for the Championships including the content for the Opening and Closing ceremonies for each Championships.
- To lead the partners marketing group to ensure that the resources of all relevant agencies are harnessed for the benefit of the Championships.
- To develop and maintain key stakeholder and supplier relationships relevant in achieving the objectives of the Championships including in particular key IAAF and IPC personnel and delegates.
- Undertake such duties as may be required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the post and the needs of the Championships.
Job and Person Specification
- Bachelors or master’s degree in marketing, communications or related/relevant subject.
- Professional marketing and/or communications qualifications are beneficial.
- Proven track record of success in a senior marketing or communications role.
- Proven track record of delivering to targets, ideally ticket sales.
- Experience of CRM systems and digital marketing.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Major event or sports industry experience.
- Knowledge/Understanding of Athletics.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
- Strong and demonstrable planning and organisational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to think and react appropriately under pressure.
- Creative thinker with strong implementation skills.
- Committed team player with a flexible approach.
- Sound business judgement and decision making capability.
- Ability to be self-starting and take ownership of issues.
The employer has chosen to withhold salary information for this position
Due to the fast paced nature of the organisation, this position may close before the specified expiry date